Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Book Proofer App on my Mac Has Stopped Working with My iOS Devices in iOS8

Any other ebook publishers out there? I have been using Book Proofer on my Mac to proof my ePubs with no problem for over a year now. But all of a sudden (since iOS8?) Book Proofer is insisting that iBooks is not installed on my iPad (or iPhone), even though it is! The folks at AppleCare had never even heard of Book Proofer! They even questioned whether it was a Mac app! Anyone else with this issue? Any fixes?

Mac is on the latest version of Mavericks

iPhone/iPad are on iOS8

There is no available update for Book Proofer

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 4:11 PM

30 replies

Sep 26, 2014 11:58 AM in response to mdg88

Same here.

Mavericks and iPhone 6 iOS 8.0. I have not updated to iOS 8.0.2, still a bit nervous since 8.0.1...

Also, when i tried clicking on a book ( This is just happening to proofs that were previously loaded ) in iBooks, it just shows the spinner on top of the cover and never opens. I can actually do this to multiple books at once. My purchased books are opening fine.

Sep 26, 2014 12:12 PM in response to i13

FYI, it's still an issue with iOS 8.0.2. Also, I reported the issue to the folks at Publisher Support/iTunes Connect and am still waiting on a reply. My guess is that iOS 8 somehow broke Book Proofer, which will probably have to be updated in some way for it to work again. My work around has been to load the epub to Dropbox on my iPad and then open the file in iBooks. It's clumsy, but it works.

Sep 26, 2014 12:19 PM in response to i13

I first called AppleCare about the issue: of the three people I spoke to, none had ever heard of BookProofer, two doubted it was Apple software and one insisted that I go to "get info" and read him its "info" to prove that it was, in fact, an Apple product. After an hour of that, it suddenly occurred to me to call the publisher support line!

I'm sure it will be fixed eventually. Meantime, try that Dropbox->iBooks workaround. Like I said, it's clumsy, but it works!

Oct 1, 2014 11:26 PM in response to mdg88

This is what I got from iBooks support today:

... current version of Book Proofer is not yet compatible with iOS 8. The issue you encountered is a result of this incompatibility. We understand this tool is highly valued by publishers and have not lost sight of providing this functionality. If an update is made to resolve this compatibility issue, it will come either in the form of an update to iOS 8, or a new version of Book Proofer which would be made available in the Resources and Help section of iTunes connect.

Oct 2, 2014 6:25 AM in response to adaptivegarage

At least you got a reply. Last I heard was on Sept. 23 with a "We are currently reviewing your request and will get back to you as soon as we can." And you're right: Forcing us to keeping checking iTunes Connect for an update is not a very customer-oriented reply.

P.S. If you do happen on an update in iTunes Connect or find that Book Proofer suddenly starts working again (perhaps because of an iOS 8 update) please post the info on this thread. I'll do likewise.

Oct 22, 2014 9:56 AM in response to JacWorkman

I received this reply from Apple's publisher support the other day; haven't yet had a chance to try it out...

Hi Mark,

We apologize for the delay in our response.

Book Proofer is not compatible with iOS 8. If you are on iOS 8, upgrade your Mac to OS X Yosemite to use the book proofing tool in iBooks for OS X Yosemite.

To create an ePub proof and add it to your iBooks library:
1. Go to the iBooks menu and choose Preferences.
2. Click Advanced and select “Enable Advanced menu in menu bar."

When you see the Advanced menu, follow these steps:
1. Go to the Advanced menu and choose “Add ePub to Library as Proof…”
2. Select your ePub file in the dialog that appears.
3. Click Add, then look for your ePub proof in your iBooks library.

Sync your ePub proof with your iOS devices:
1. Connect your device to your Mac.
2. Open the iBooks app on your device.
3. Open your ePub proof in iBooks on your Mac.
4. Click Devices and select each device that you want to sync.

Oct 23, 2014 5:36 AM in response to mdg88

I haven't even upgraded my iPad yet because of this. And it gives me other problems since my iPhone and Mac are updated.

The workarounds seems like a hustle. It might work, but I want the functionality that ocly Book Proofer has - to be able to edit the ePub while proofing it, and see the results right away. This can only be done when proofing an unpacked ePub library.

Anyone knows if the new proof functionality in iBooks for Yosemite can do this?

Nov 3, 2014 1:53 PM in response to adaptivegarage

>>Got it to work!

Great..... ;-(

But what about those who do not have Yosemite. I am still working with OS 10.7, because I know I will lose a load of software applications and CPU speed, if I upgrade. I know I should not have upgraded the iPad to IOS 8.2, but I only did that to get rid of the horrendous IOS 7.0.

But now I have lost Book Proofer. Is this for good, or is someone still working on it?

R

Book Proofer App on my Mac Has Stopped Working with My iOS Devices in iOS8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.