Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Family Sharing "Ask to Buy" not working

If it's not one thing with iOS 8, it's another. I have a iPhone 6, iPad Air, and a child's iPhone 5. I'm setup under my iCloud account as the "Organizer" on the iPad Air and iPhone 6, he is setup as a child, with "Ask to Buy" turned on, on the iPhone 5. When he tries to make an app purchase on the iPhone 5, it says that permission must be granted, with a pop-up notification, and then you can select "Ask." Problem is, I never receive the request on either the iPhone 6 or iPad Air, so I cannot grant permission.

Any solutions?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2017 1:53 AM

I logged out/in, restarted, etc to no avail. Child logged into the iPad Air and 'Ask' to purchase and the notification was not coming through on the MacBook Ver. 10.11.6.

What solved my issue: On the MacBook > System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family > Child > Ask to Buy > removed the checkmark and a notice received on the iPad, then put the checkmark back on. Fixed.

Hopefully, this will help others, as I was pulling my hair out over this as it was intermittently working (i.e. notification received one day, then not working).

64 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2017 1:53 AM in response to ChicagoJoe2014

I logged out/in, restarted, etc to no avail. Child logged into the iPad Air and 'Ask' to purchase and the notification was not coming through on the MacBook Ver. 10.11.6.

What solved my issue: On the MacBook > System Preferences > iCloud > Manage Family > Child > Ask to Buy > removed the checkmark and a notice received on the iPad, then put the checkmark back on. Fixed.

Hopefully, this will help others, as I was pulling my hair out over this as it was intermittently working (i.e. notification received one day, then not working).

Sep 24, 2014 5:32 AM in response to ChicagoJoe2014

This is what Apple support told me - the iTunes Account and the Family Share Organizer account have to be the same iCloud account, otherwise the Organizer will not receive the purchase requests from minors. That's just terrific. Since my iTunes account is years old with hundreds of dollars of purchases, and my regular icloud account handles all of my email, calendars, etc., and Apple decided to not allow one iTunes account to transfer purchases to another iTunes account, Apple support basically said I'm screwed. Unbelievable. So, a grest idea with the Family Share is basically useless for me.

Sep 27, 2014 1:54 PM in response to JohnnyG76

There sticky point appears to be related to what why call the "original" iCloud account vs. a newer iCloud account. In other words only the first iCloud account used to make purchases appears to work with "Ask to buy" feature. In my case I had a very old apple id (@mac, then @me, then @icloud) and after purchasing iPhones for all family members I created a new apple id for me (private backups between my devices). Each of my family members now have their own apple id's. Well, my fairly new apple id (which has payment methods for iTunes/appstore) does not work with "ask to buy" feature. Only the original apple id does. I can't understand why. As an experiment I added the original apple id as a family member in Family share, and set as parent/guardian. That did the trick in terms of receiving ask to buy notifications, but it will remove the ability for me to see shared purchases because there's two" apple ID's set under family sharing.

If somebody figures out how to fix this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Wil

Oct 4, 2014 1:25 PM in response to Gino Cerullo

Thanks for the info Gino but the organizer account on my iPhone is the same as on my iPad. I'm using mac.com, also have me.com and could.com accounts on both devices but its no letting me changing either one to Parent/Guardian. Not sure why this has to be so difficult you figure that if you're the organizer then all your devices with that account should be able to receive your child's purchase notifications.

Oct 4, 2014 2:48 PM in response to Gino Cerullo

No Gino ChicagoJoe2014 and I are not the same person. lol!

I understand that all my accounts are considered the same account and that's where my frustration begins because if that's the case then why am I only receiving my son's purchase request on my iPad and not on my iPhone.

Now where i'm confused here from your instructions is when you said to: "Make one of the accounts the Organizer account, you seem to have done that already. Add your other account, as a Parent/Guardian." the accounts on both my iPad and iPhone is the same account. Are you suggesting to make my son's account Parent/Guardian with the ask for permission request on?

Oct 5, 2014 5:51 AM in response to nrod72

nrod72, the reply, "Make one of the accounts the Organizer account, you seem to have done that already. Add your other account, as a Parent/Guardian." was directed at ChicagoJoe2014.

I would suggest that you compare all settings on the iPhone and iPad and make sure they are set up exactly the same. Make sure both are logged in using the same account in all these services, iCloud; iTunes & App Store; Mail, Contacts, Calendar; Messages, and FaceTime.

iOS 8 Family Sharing "Ask to Buy" not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.