Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if I sign out of my ICloud account?

Following my update to IOS 8 on my IPAD2 i have a major problem with ICloud Drive continually upgrading - continued for 72 hours. I know that others are having the same problem. I have sougtt advice on this forum and I have tried a range of suggestions offered - but without success. Over the last year I have backed up to I Cloud Drive and this has not created issues. As a precaution I also yesterday backed up on ITunes. I. Have been advised to log out of ICloud Drive. There is an option to Sign Out of ICloud Drive. Comes with a warning though " Deleting this account will remove its data from your IPad?"

What are the possible problems / risks from deleting my ICloud account? If I delete ICloud then I would leave it for a couple of weeks then reset up ICloud Drive. At present I use KeyChain and have 20 GB of storage but am only using 11GB of this.

And yes I know should have delayed move to IOS8 and delayed updating aiCloud drive.

Max

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 3:54 PM

Deleting your iCloud account will delete all iCloud data from your devices. You will get an option to keep the data you sync with iCloud on your iPad when you delete the account (contacts, calendars, etc.), with the exception of photo stream photos and documents and data synced with iCloud by your apps (if any). As far as I know, you won't get the option to keep your iCloud Drive data when you delete the account.

Deleting the account will not reset anything. Your data, including iCloud Drive, will remain in iCloud just as it is now. If your goal is to "reset iCloud", deleting the account won't accomplish that.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2014 3:54 PM in response to NewMaxwell

Deleting your iCloud account will delete all iCloud data from your devices. You will get an option to keep the data you sync with iCloud on your iPad when you delete the account (contacts, calendars, etc.), with the exception of photo stream photos and documents and data synced with iCloud by your apps (if any). As far as I know, you won't get the option to keep your iCloud Drive data when you delete the account.

Deleting the account will not reset anything. Your data, including iCloud Drive, will remain in iCloud just as it is now. If your goal is to "reset iCloud", deleting the account won't accomplish that.

Sep 22, 2014 4:37 PM in response to randers4

Thanks for your reply. You end by asking about my goal in deleting the ICloud Drive account. The only reason I have considered deleting the account is because others have advised that deleting and reinstalling the account may stop my problem with ICloud Drive continually upgrading.

If it is clear that deleting the ICloud Drive account won't fix my problem then I will not delete ICloud Drive.

Apologies for being a bit slow on all this (am an old fellow) but not clear about syncing with ICloud. I do not own or use any Apple products other than the IPad. Until I backed up on ITunes yesterday I have not backed up on or synced with ITunes for a year. My daily back up has been to ICloud Drive - I have never actually had to access a backup. I read your reply as saying my calendar, contacts can be kept if delete iCloud Drive. I guess my photos and data in NOTES etc will remain on my IPad and be accessible irrespective of whether I have ICloud Drive? I have a lot of APPS. Not sure where data for the APPS is stored - on my IPad, with company providing the APP or on ICloud? Many of APPS I use predate my use of I Cloud so not sure if APP data is on ICloud Drive.

Max

thanks again for support.

Sep 22, 2014 5:17 PM in response to NewMaxwell

If you plan to sign back into your iCloud account after signing out, all your iCloud data will sync back to your device with the exception of any photo stream photos older than 30 days. In other words, deleting the account only removes it from your device, not from iCloud. This disconnects your device from your data, which remains on the iCloud server. When you sign back in it will reappear on your device. The exception is my photo stream photos older than 30 days, which are no longer in iCloud. If you're running iOS 7 or below, you can save your my photo stream photos to your camera roll before deleting the account so you don't lose them (this apparently isn't possible on devices running iOS 8). If you plan to sign back in, when you delete the account, just choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted and the data will download back to your device when you sign back in.

What impact this has in solving your problem with iCloud Drive I can't say.

What happens if I sign out of my ICloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.