Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Thunderbolt Update 1.2 keeping downloading?

This update has kept downloading every second day the past week. I have a MacAir

This issue was covered in previous discussions in June 2013.

The update appears to be installed. I get the necessary installation bar, gray screen and the restart tone (twice).

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 4:21 PM

33 replies

Sep 24, 2014 1:59 PM in response to graesiep

Hello, graesiep.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Here are a couple resources that you may find helpful when experiencing this issue.

Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2: Keeps reappearing and Thunderbolt ports and Target Display Mode may not work

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4579

Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.2

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1653

Cheers,

Jason H.

Oct 8, 2014 2:00 AM in response to jason269

Sadly Jason, neither of the two suggestions are of any help.

I do not have any Thunderbolt devices attached to my computer.

I have restarted the computer as suggested with power cord attached, without a result. I am still getting the update with my automatic Software Update.

Maybe it will disappear after the new Yosemite update expected later this year.

Cheers, Graeme

Oct 23, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Eric Root

Re-indexed spotlight and tried to hide the update too with the debug instructions for the app store.

No luck with either. The debug option to hide the update doesn't seem to work any longer....

Thanks for your help though.

I keep trying to update to see if anything takes whenever I am done working and when the computer restarts I get excited thinking it has successfully installed but then it will check and then tell me there it is ready to install.

It's such a small thing but it annoys me so much!! 😝

Nov 18, 2014 9:35 PM in response to panderson9895

I was able to get rid of the update notification, but not of the problem.

In terminal:

rm -Rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

sudo rm -Rf /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Apple Logo \ System Preferences \ App Store

Uncheck all automatic updates

reboot

This basically stop automatic updates and removes the annoying notification. But this does not fix the problem.

I hope Apple will come up with the fix soon. This is very annoying.

Nov 28, 2014 10:14 AM in response to jason269

+1

When I try to manually upgrade by downloading and running the firmware update, it says that the software "is not supported on my system." Really?

Mac Air 13 - Early 2014

Yosemite 10.10.1

Oddly, the Thunderbolt Display firmware shows as currently being 22.2. Hmm, going to 1.2 would be quite a downgrade! 😉

This is more annoying than my cat when she's hungry.

.m.

Nov 29, 2014 7:03 AM in response to graesiep

Alright! I spent some quality time with an Apple rep this morning working on this issue. We tried several things, including booting into safe mode (holding down Shift when you power on until you see logo). No matter what, the update did not appear to work, which was verified by my Display still having a firmware version of 22.2. On a list ditch effort, they had me disconnect my laptop from the Thunderbolt display, and do an SMC reset (hold down Shift-Ctrl-Option keys and press Power button - release all. Nothing will visibly happen.) Then do a PRAM reset (hold down Option-Cmd-P-R, hit power, and keep those 4 keys down until the 2nd Apple boot tone is heard.) After the laptop booted, I plugged in the Thunderbolt display, did the Update via App store, and it ran cleanly. Confirmed by my Display now being firmware 26.2.

Hope this helps someone.

Why does Thunderbolt Update 1.2 keeping downloading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.