Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8 background app refresh apps missing

My GPS fitness apps like runkeeper and Map my run keep telling me to turn on background app refresh. When I go there it is enabled but the app doesn't show in the list. I have rebooted the phone (5s) and have deleted and reinstalled the apps with no success.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 8:04 AM

This issue is related to Location Services API changes made by iOS 8; I am facing this problem with some of my own apps. Essentially, apps using Location Services will need to be updated in order to work in iOS 8, so keep your eye on the app store for when the developer releases the iOS 8 update.

4 replies

Nov 4, 2014 9:01 AM in response to Nima-N

I've found the solution!

In project target settings, go to Capabilities (second tab), in Background modes (which should be ON) there's a mode called Background Fetch.

If you check this mode, the app will appear in the Background Refresh list in phone settings.

In iOS 7 the app was in the Background Refresh list if just "Location Services" background capability was checked, but it seems that it's not enough for iOS 8.

Checking the "Background Fetch" (with or without "Location Services" capability) will fix this issue.

ios 8 background app refresh apps missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.