Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why not debit card for family sharing for minor children

Apple is requiring credit card security code to prove you are an adult when setting up family share for under 13 child. We don't use credit cards. There is no reason they can't use the security code on a debit card. This is silly.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 7:00 PM

9 replies

Sep 24, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Lime410

Hello ,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

The organizer's Apple ID account does require a valid payment source, which includes both credit cards and debit cards.

Setting up Family Sharing

When you set up Family Sharing, you'll be asked to confirm that you agree to pay for purchases initiated by the family members you invite and that you have a valid payment method on file. Valid payment methods for setting up Family Sharing include credit cards and debit cards. You can change the billing method on file in your account at any time in your iTunes & App Store account settings.

Family purchases and payments

Take care,

Alex H.

Oct 4, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Lime410

I agree. I'm trying to set up Family Sharing now for 5 of us now. If you want to add a child who doesn't have an account, and select "Create an Apple ID for a child," you are asked to provide parental consent and verify your payment information for a child under 13. When I plug in my child's birth date, I get the message "You currently have a debit card on file. To create an account for a child, you must verify that you are an adult by adding a credit card to your account in iTunes & App Store settings."

I DON'T WANT TO USE A CREDIT CARD!!!

Oct 4, 2014 4:34 PM in response to Lime410

A "good friend" or a "friendly relative" with a card ... if you explain the situation to them ... will work ... :-)

And sure, it's a hoop you have to jump through for kids ... but that's the level of protection that is demanded these days (in terms of the laws for kids and website and being able to verify that the kid is not trying to "get around controls"). AND so ... one might think twice about saying that a new Apple ID that you're creating is for someone who is a kid ... :-) ...

Jun 29, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Lime410

Apple needs to change this ASAP, it is a huge bug!!!

I have had an apple id for years and used a debit Card with no problems, today I wanted to change my birthdate on my daugthers ID (Family sharing) and are told to provide a Credit Card, what has that got to do with it?
USA is not the only country in the World wake up! I live in Denmark and most of the population have a so called VISA/Dankort, which is a Debitcard, but everywhere else in the World where I can use a VISA I can use this Card, but apparantly not by Apple when I need to change a Birthdate.

Why should I go to a bank and ask for a creditcard in order to change the birthdate ? Makes no sense

Why not debit card for family sharing for minor children

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.