Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone6 not charging

I just got a new iPhone6 and have only successfully charged it a handful of times. I've been using the adapter provided in a wall outlet with hit or miss results (a success rate of about 50%) and when I last tried it I tried several outlets and was not able to get the phone to start charging at all. When I plug it into my macbook air to charge it shuts off my computer immediately (I don't even have to have the phone plugged into the other end)!

Any one else experiencing this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8, charging

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2017 9:18 PM

Cleaning the charging port with a paper clip totally worked!! It was full of dust that prevented my charger from fully going in, now it makes sense that I had to do all that wiggling. It was packed with dust all along, and I know why, it's because I usually keep my phone in my pants pocket which gathers lint. My headphone jack was also packed with dust. User uploaded file

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2017 9:18 PM in response to cub-mex

Cleaning the charging port with a paper clip totally worked!! It was full of dust that prevented my charger from fully going in, now it makes sense that I had to do all that wiggling. It was packed with dust all along, and I know why, it's because I usually keep my phone in my pants pocket which gathers lint. My headphone jack was also packed with dust. User uploaded file

Sep 22, 2014 10:54 PM in response to jtong8co

It sounds like you have an issue with your charging cable. I would try finding someone that you can try theirs, or go to a store that sells iPhones and ask them if you can try their cable to test it out and narrow down the problem. Obviously, if the problem still persists with a different cable, then it's the phone that's the problem. I have a feeling it's most likely the cable. Good luck.

Sep 23, 2014 6:10 AM in response to jtong8co

My new iPhone 6 is also not charging. I have tried using 4 different adapters, plugging straight into a USB hub on my computer, and also tried an iPad adapter. I've also tried 4 different lightning cords. None will charge my new phone and will be heading to either AT&T or Apple today to get a new one under the warranty. This is disappointing because I didn't damage it in any way....just a lemon.😟

Oct 7, 2014 6:39 AM in response to jtong8co

I just had this problem today I had put my phone on charger and went back an hour later it was still at 12 percent and did indicate that it was charging. So I found this thread was going to go to the apple store tried ten different cords, nothing. I was about to give up hope i did a hard reset just to see what happen and after reset the battery was in fact charging it was at 75 percent when it came to. So I would try that before going to the apple store it worked for me. looks like it is charging just not showing it in my case.

Oct 10, 2014 6:06 AM in response to jtong8co

I've come to the conclusion that extension USB cables don't carry enough power to charge the newer devices. My iPad 3 and iPhone 5S did just fine on extensions, now the iPad Air and the iPhone 6 won't charge. At least that's what the computer says when it connects to the computer. There is a "trickle" charge going to it, but not enough to really charge it.

Also, I have a 12 port USB hub from Monoprice that used to charge the previous devices...no longer...even with a direct connection to the hub without an extension. I've tried the extensions with the hub and directly to the computer...neither work.

Oct 19, 2014 7:17 AM in response to Vikon42

try cleaning the charging point entry. I had the iphone tech at apple store put a paper clip into the port after inspecting with a battery and magnifying glass and lightly scrape out what appeared to be brown glue or brown plastic residue. fixed it in less than 10 seconds. looks like in my case it was a factory issue that was resolved immediatly

Nov 30, 2014 5:04 AM in response to Vikon42

Hi!

Firstly, sorry your having this issue with charging, it is something that Apple will be more than ready to solve with you.

Just to help pin point the cause for the issue. Is there anything in the Charging Dock that's causing the charger to not sit flush when connected? It may be that there's some foreign material in there stopping the connection.

If this this isn't the case then it maybe that after your appointment at the Apple Store you walk away with a whole new device. So make sure you have a backup of your data. 🙂

I hope this is helpful!

Dec 20, 2014 3:50 AM in response to jtong8co

My issue was not correctable. I must say that this is second attempt to post a reply on my Surface Pro 2 and keyboard and in one as yet unknown key stroke this thing allows me to highlight and erase whole paragraphs. It's going out a window shortly. But on to my issue at hand.

Brand New iPhone 6 suddenly wont accept a charge - cleaned port - soft reset - completely wiped and even totally reloaded the IOS from a file. Nothing worked. Apple replaced it at the Genius Bar in like 9 minutes. 😮? The tech did some basic troubleshooting and took me at my word and replaced the phone on the spot. Definitely great service.

*Note* My order from Verzion for an iPad Air2 128GB placed on November 10th still has not arrived. At this point my X1 Carbon is my go-to portable so not even sure I will accept the shipment. I've gone this long and adapted to the Carbon.

iphone6 not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.