Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 6.2 does NOT work in Mountain Lion; huge issues

Question is does anyone have any ideas about this.

Also my purpose is to WARN people NOT to upgrade to 6.2!!!

15" mid-2013 MBPr running 10.8.5. Upgraded to Safari 6.2 today and regret it mightily (this is why I rarely upgrade until FORCED). Immediately, could not open most of my Google docs or Gmail. Kept getting this dialog:

"This error has been reported to Google and we'll look into it as soon as possible. Please reload your page to continue."

But I couldn't reload--the error kept continuing. Endless loop of click Ok and it comes back. Plus, got colored spinning beach ball hangs on MANY other sites (including ironically Apple site to go to support forums). and every 3 seconds "webpages have stopped

NONE OF THIS was going on with the same tabs opened in 6.1.x or whatever it was before that. It was slow, but otherwise worked.

I tried to use Time Machine to go back to my last Safari app and of course got the message that Safari is necessary system software and could not be replace.

After trying to get through to tech support twice and getting disconnected (???) I got someone who told me it would NOT be possible in any way to downgrade to previous version of Safari.

I was further informed that "we cannot test new versions of browsers to work with all apps and be sure their functionality is not broken." I said "I would think Google, though, might be kind of a priority as one you would test." it's not like it's an OSCURE APP.

I was also told to upgrade to Mavericks so i could just use safari 7.1. I do NOT want to upgrade to Mavericks for very specific reasons (not the least of which, besides this situation which happens all too frequently, is that there are other things that are broken in Mavericks as i can see on my 13" retina Macbook, particularly with Apple Mail, which I find very annoying, and other functionalities and interface things that I find less friendly in Mavericks). I have one Mavericks machine and I want one Mountain Lion machine. Period. This should be OK.

I asked for a supervisor when the guy suggested i simply use a different browser like Firefox or Chrome. Are you KIDDING me? That's your answer?

I use Chrome and Safari each for specific work things and Firefox for all personal. THat is how I organize my stuff. I edit Google docs related to one client's work in Safari. THat is where my permissions are to access those docs.

I said that any released version Safari should work with major, hugely popular business apps and I should not have to SWITCH AWAY FROM SAFARi. If you are suggesting i NOT USE SAFARI, then it shouldn't be released. Period.

The supervisor told me that I could downgrade only by downgrading my whole system. Only way. (I later realized after I hung up--unless you can tell me otherwise--that means restoring my whole hard drive, NOT just my system,? Like FULL Time Machine restore of everything. If I could do JUST he system, I'd do it.)

He also said that it was "possible I could get Safari 6.2 working with Google docs" IF I "played around with settings and preferences in Safari."

Um. I said, prompting him, ahem…since I called in for support, perhaps you could work with me to give me some ideas of what those settings or changes might be, rather than have me "randomly play with" it?

He reluctantly did so, screen sharing with me, had me do all the things I;d already tried (restring Safari, restarting computer, etc), closing and opening those docs. He saw the error message through screen sharing. he could not explain it. We played around with opening the docs from Drive or email instead of from the bookmarked tabs.

Sometime into the call, it stopped doing it. We never knew why. So he thought we'd solved it (even though no explanation for why it had been, never identified a consistent source). He said "well, so Safari 6,2 DOES work." But after we hung up, it started doing it again. Mainly with Google (error message) but also with other sites (beach ball hangs). I will not bother calling back. I guess I either cant use Safari or need to restore my whole system to get old one back (again, I don't want to go to Mavericks on this machine).

Anyone got ideas?

What i find more concerning than the thing not working (which isn't insignificant ) is the lack of care and lack of knowledge that is now consistently apparent when I call for help, compared to how consistently awesome it used to be. 😟

Sad.

I would appreciate any insights anyone has gleaned re this issue. And again I caution against 6.2. My machine works great otherwise, Safari worked fien before the upgrade, and NO, i DO NOT have any anti-virus software!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 9:13 PM

27 replies

Sep 23, 2014 3:33 AM in response to Samantha Thailer

Hi Samantha ..

Try the following:

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

No open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, try troubleshooting extensions.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If nothihg above worked, try Google's public DNS.

Open System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS

Click + and type:

Click + again and do the same.

Click OK. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Sep 23, 2014 9:07 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I really appreciate all those ideas. Was really hopeful one of them would work. None of them did. Each time I relaunched, it's still 95% beachball and "webpages not loading" errors, with occasional "this error has been reported to Google" errors. 😟 I am stumped...

User uploaded file

Is anyone else having this with 6.2? Or does no one even use 6.2?

Sep 24, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Samantha Thailer

Since updating to Safari 6.2 on Mountain Lion, I've been having to restart Safari to restore website functionality. Today alone, I've restarted 3 times in the last 5 hours, and Safari totally crashed once.

The problem is that the JavaScript engine is stopping, stalling or crashing. Opening the same website in new windows or tabs does nothing. Any website feature that depends on JavaScript becomes completely broken or disabled.

Quitting and restarting Safari is the only way to get the page to operate again. I only saw this happen once with the previous Safari version and it rarely crashed. This version is having this JavaScript problem almost hourly and totally crashes a few times a week.

Otherwise, everything else seems to be operating normally.

Sep 26, 2014 4:41 PM in response to Samantha Thailer

Samantha, you hit the nail on the head and described _exactly_ the problem I am having on both my Macbook Pro machines (both with Mountain Lion 10.8.5) since I upgraded to Safari 6.2. The only temporary--and I mean minute-by-minute--fix I have found is to turn off wifi and then turn it back on. Power cycling the modem and Airport Extreme router also seems to work, but, of course, that takes a relatively long time. In either/both cases, full speed is then attained for a minute…sometimes several minutes. Interestingly, my MacPro 5,1, which is also on Mountain Lion 10.8.5 _ethernet_ is unaffected…because I have not updated it to Safari 6.2…and I don't plan on doing so given Apple's unreliable wi-fi rollouts. In fact, I will probably just reset my Macbook Pro laptops with a Super Duper clone, made prior to Safari 6.2 "update."

Oct 1, 2014 4:56 PM in response to Samantha Thailer

I too have problems with Safari 6.2, specifically intermittent crashes (every 45min to 1hr) and intermitted slowdown on website page loads. No problems of this kind with v6.1 at all. My solution is just to blow thru it, restart the app and move on. IMHO, Apple *always* shoves buggy core software out just before releasing a new OS version. Noticed that bad habit of theirs all the way back to the Panther/Tiger changeover. Just assumed its their not so subtle way of convincing people to upgrade to the latest and greatest. So I'm not surprised to see that Safari is acting up. And I don't expect to see Apple fix it either.

Oct 4, 2014 2:11 PM in response to Shutterbuggery

Mine only crashed once yesterday. However, JavaScript stopped working at least a dozen times requiring that I restart Safari. Any website feature depending on JavaScript just stops working... these days that's most websites and features.

Also, very strangely, when open tabs are restored on startup, all tabs contain the correct page title, but when you click on some of the tabs, the page is blank and the URL is empty.

Oct 6, 2014 12:24 AM in response to danabeck

Here's a REALLY weird thing I found....I cannot explain this. I was browsing the forums and read that someone having trouble with Safari 7 (for Mavericks) found a plug-in called Sharepoint and removing it solved the issue. I thought what the heck...hadnt seen that related to this problem, and the other person had different troubles with a different version, but wouldnt hurt, right? I find Sharepoint, trash it, and the problem goes away...

I was about to come here and report the happy news, when, four days into this "fix"—it started doing the SAME EXACT THING IT WAS BEFORE.

Except now Sharepoint was gone. No more Sharepoint. I even checked HD to see if it has "come back" somehow!

So go figure why, after a week of trying stuff and NO relief for this problem, removing this plug-in fixes it for a few days? And then back to SAME PROBLEMS? Can anyone explain that?

It is UNUSABLE. It's not even worth opening any more. This is SUCH a stupid thing, i can't believe I cant get 6.1 back and that no one at APple can help. We're just supposed to accept this?

Oct 7, 2014 6:48 AM in response to Samantha Thailer

Since upgrading to Safari 6.2 (OS 10.8.5), my folder icons in the finder window rearrange intermittently into alphabetical order and 3 files magically appear: Cache.db, Cache.db-shm, Cache.db-wal. I have checked "always open in icon view" and clicked "use as defaults". I don't know why this is happening, but I do know it is very annoying. Anybody know how to fix this?

Oct 7, 2014 8:49 AM in response to Samantha Thailer

Dear Samantha,

As there is about a 95+ percent correlation between Safari issues and third-party software/utilities/extensions that are not good for your Mac, I'm surprised no on has asked about it. I suspect the amazing Carolyn stopped dropping in here after your thread was highjacked by all the "me too-ers" who disrupted this thread instead of starting their own.

Let's try this to check for know problem children: You can safely give us a snapshot of your config without reveailing any critical security information. Please download and install this free utility:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

It is secure and written by one of our most valued members to allow users to show details of their computer's configuration in Apple Support Communities without revealing any sensitive personal data.

Run the program and click the "Copy report to clipboard" button when it displays the results. Then return here and paste the report into a response to your initial post. It can often show if any harmful files/programs are dragging down your performance.

If Etrecheck shows any problem areas, we can give you advice on what, if needed, should be either removed or updated.

Oct 7, 2014 9:18 AM in response to Allan Jones

For the record, I have no third party extensions installed in my Safari.

Issues since updating to 6.2

1. JavaScript crashes every hour or so. Any website depending on JavaScript loses most of its GUI functionality. Reloading or closing/reopening the tab/window does nothing. Must restart Safari.
  2. When reopening Safari, even when closed normally, some of the tabs that re-open automatically are blank. The tab contains the proper title of the site that should be there, but the contents of that tab are nothing but white and the URL field is empty. What's the point of automatically loading the last session's open tabs, if you have to manually reload each URL?
  3. Safari itself is crashing but only about once a day. This is still huge as it never crashed once before this update.
  4. I know that Safari's form auto-fill has nothing to do with JavaScript, but just before JavaScript crashes, the autofill feature starts flaking out. It will autofill the username but not the password. This coincides with standard (non-JavaScript) form submit buttons doing nothing on click. Restarting JavaScript temporarily fixes this.

I'll admit that issue #1 had happened once or twice over the last several months but it was so infrequent and usually confined to one tab that once closed/reopened was resolved. Only since updating to 6.2 has this all gone wildly out of control.

This is a refurbished Mac Pro purchased directly from Apple only last spring that came shipped with Mountain Lion. Aside from keeping the operating system up to date, I've only installed some fairly innocuous software... spreadsheet, word processor, image editors, etc.

There is definitely something very very wrong with Safari version 6.2.

Oct 9, 2014 9:17 PM in response to Allan Jones

Happy to. It's below.

Not everyone hijacked this thread thread btw--Danabeck for example said having EXACT same problem I am. Furthermore, the Sharepoint "fix" that worked, then stopped working is pretty weird.

and whatever is going on, it wasnt in Safari 6.1 with very same system. But sure--if something unneeded is causing problem with 6.2, I'd be delighted to dump it.

EtreCheck version: 1.9.15 (52)

Report generated October 9, 2014 8:49:40 PM MST

Hardware Information: ?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) (Verified)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro10,1

1 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 4 cores

16 GB RAM

Video Information: ?

Intel HD Graphics 4000 - VRAM: 512 MB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - VRAM: 1024 MB

Color LCD 2880 X 1800

System Software: ?

OS X 10.8.5 (12F45) - Uptime: 5 days 3:37:32

Disk Information: ?

APPLE SSD SD512E disk0 : (500.28 GB)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 499.42 GB (24.02 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

USB Information: ?

Seagate Backup+ RD 1 TB

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

disk1s1 (disk1s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Seagate Backup Plus Drive (disk1s2) <not mounted>: 999.86 GB

Apple Inc. iPhone

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information: ?

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ?

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ?

[not loaded] com.cisco.nke.ipsec (2.0.1) Support

Problem System Launch Daemons: ?

[failed] com.apple.coresymbolicationd.plist

[failed] com.apple.findmymac.plist

[failed] com.apple.printtool.daemon.plist

[failed] com.apple.wdhelper.plist

Problem System Launch Agents: ?

[failed] com.apple.accountsd.plist

[failed] com.apple.AirPlayUIAgent.plist

[failed] com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication.plist

[failed] com.apple.printtool.agent.plist

Launch Daemons: ?

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support

[loaded] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist Support

[loaded] com.bresink.system.securityagent.plist Support

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist Support

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist Support

Launch Agents: ?

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist Support

[running] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist Support

[loaded] com.adobe.CS4ServiceManager.plist Support

[running] com.epson.eventmanager.agent.plist Support

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist Support

[loaded] com.hp.messagecenter.launcher.plist Support

User Launch Agents: ?

[loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist Support

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist Support

[loaded] com.citrixonline.GoToMeeting.G2MUpdate.plist Support

[running] com.genieo.completer.download.plist Support

[running] com.genieo.completer.update.plist Support

[not loaded] com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper Support

User Login Items: ?

Flux

WindowMizer

PTHPasteboard

BetterTouchTool

PowerboxInjector

Dropbox

BitTorrent

BitTorrent Sync

Internet Plug-ins: ?

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.3.6 Support

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.4.4.2 Support

AdobeExManDetect: Version: AdobeExManDetect 1.1.0.0 - SDK 10.7 Support

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown

AdobeAAMDetect: Version: AdobeAAMDetect 2.0.0.0 - SDK 10.7 Support

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 15.0.0.152 - SDK 10.6 Support

Flash Player: Version: 15.0.0.152 - SDK 10.6 Support

AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin: Version: Unknown

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.1

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 10.1.2 Support

GarminGpsControl: Version: 2.9.3.0 Release Support

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 14.8.0 - SDK 10.7 Check version

Safari Extensions: ?

Reload Button-2 (Disabled)

ClickToPlugin

Sessions (Disabled)

Searchme

Audio Plug-ins: ?

AirPlay: Version: 1.7 - SDK 10.8

iSightAudio: Version: 7.7.1 - SDK 10.8

iTunes Plug-ins: ?

Quartz Composer Visualizer: Version: 1.4 - SDK 10.8

User iTunes Plug-ins ?

iLike: Version: 1.0 Support

PPC Bundle: Version: (null) Support

iLike Bundle: Version: (null) Support

Tiger Bundle: Version: (null) Support

User Internet Plug-ins ?

CitrixOnlineWebDeploymentPlugin: Version: 1.0.105 Support

fbplugin_1_0_1: Version: (null) Support

3rd Party Preference Panes: ?

Application Enhancer Support

Flash Player Support

Flip4Mac WMV Support

MultiClutch Support

multiXFinder Support

PTHPasteboard Support

Time Machine: ?

Mobile backups: OFF

Auto backup: NO - Auto backup turned off

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 465.12 GB Disk used: 442.75 GB

Destinations:

Seagate Backup Plus Drive [Local] (Last used)

Total size: 931.19 GB

Total number of backups: 80

Oldest backup: 2013-07-24 01:53:06 +0000

Last backup: 2014-10-05 02:23:22 +0000

Size of backup disk: Too small

Backup size 931.19 GB < (Disk used 442.75 GB X 3)

Time Machine details may not be accurate.

All volumes being backed up may not be listed.

Top Processes by CPU: ?

99% fsck_hfs

87% firefox

8% com.apple.iCloudHelper

7% AddressBookSourceSync

6% Google Chrome

Top Processes by Memory: ?

5.56 GB firefox

1.78 GB fsck_hfs

999 MB WindowServer

442 MB Mail

180 MB Microsoft Word

Virtual Memory Information: ?

49 MB Free RAM

6.75 GB Active RAM

6.71 GB Inactive RAM

2.49 GB Wired RAM

13.58 GB Page-ins

22.49 GB Page-outs

Nov 2, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Samantha Thailer

Hey I had this problem too, but solved it. I have researched and found out that problems have occurred for many users using Safari 6.2, specifically it's use with Mountain Lion (10.8.5), that didn't occur with 6.1.6. Late reply I know, but here's how to downgrade:

1. First off, download a copy of AppZapper (the demo mode will get you through this process)

2. Make a backup of your Safari bookmarks/reading list, just in case, by going to: Macintosh HD> Library> Caches> Metadata> Safari and copying and pasting the Bookmarks and/or History folder(s) to your desktop.

3. Download Safari 6.1.6 (which I downloaded), but don't install it yet. <This link is a direct download>

4. Quit Safari and launch AppZapper

5. Open AppZapper's preferences and uncheck the "Keep Apple Applications Safe" option.

6. Drag the Safari icon from the Application folder to AppZapper and click the "Zap!" button, which will remove Safari but your bookmarks/reading list will remain. However, take the precautions in step #2 just in case.

7. Launch the "Safari6.1.6Lion.pkg" file you downloaded earlier

8. Go through the installation process

9. Launch Safari

10. If your Bookmarks and/or history is missing, you can replace the respective folders with the ones you moved to your desktop in step #2. Otherwise if they are there already, you can throw the ones from your desktop to your trash bin.

Steps adapted from macworld's steps to remove iTunes 12 to revert to iTunes 11. These are the steps that worked for me to downgrade Safari 6.2 to Safari 6.1.5.

Hope this helps!

Safari 6.2 does NOT work in Mountain Lion; huge issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.