Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contstantly have to reboot iphone 6 to obtain data connection

New iPhone 6 upgrade from iPhone 4S. AT&T

WiFi, LTE and 4G - none will maintain a persistent (data) connection. Have to reboot phone to get a data connection and then that only lasts a few minutes. Tried switching on/off WiFi, Cellular, resetting network connections with no luck. Next step thinking of doing complete restore to factory settings and then restore from backup. Anyone have any thoughts out there?!

BTW, seven iOS devices in the household (all updated to iOS 8; some LTE/WiFi; some WiFi only) and none have the same problems as I'm experiencing with NEW iPhone 6. Heck, I can sit with my iPad Air (LTE) right next to iPhone 6 and have abosuletly no issues with the Air surfing, using data, etc. (LTE or WiFi).

Did I say Argh (and it's not speak like a pirate day)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 4:01 AM

44 replies

Jan 24, 2017 3:26 PM in response to jss92

Just dealt with no cellular connection for 5 days. Switched SIM card, went through all on/off for settings,reset network and Apple Store checked it and loaded IOS update still no connection and could offer only phone swap at $300 plus.

Tried my last resort: put phone in freezer after turning phone off for 15 minutes. lol and behold reconnected after restart and switching airplane mode on/ off one time the connection fired up!

Worth a try!

Aug 27, 2017 2:11 PM in response to jss92

My iPhone 6 Plus does the same thing. Constantly can not connect to anything until I reboot. Stopped in Apple Store and of course they have never heard of this issue. Ready to switch from Apple. Every single time there is an upgrade they mess up something else. Then when the phone finally gets corrupt by updates they want you to buy a $1000 new one.

Sep 23, 2014 10:55 AM in response to jss92

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 6. I'm trying to figure out if it's the phone or iOS 8. I've read others having connectivity issues with iOS 8, but I have a iPhone 5 working just fine on the new OS. So, I'm thinking it is the iPhone 6.

The only way to regain the LTE or Wifi connection is to restart. Both time out 10-20 mins later. Let me know if you have any luck restoring to factory settings.

Sep 26, 2014 6:19 PM in response to rperez3

I had the same issue on my first iPhone 6, every few hours i would lose all data connectivity over WiFi and cellular. Have 3 of the exact same Verizon iPhone 6's in the house and only mine was having the issue. Was traveling for work so put up with it for a several days then tried a full restore via iTunes and setup as new iPhone but the issue persisted. Made an appointment at Apple store to get it looked at and when I went to Genius bar the guy didn't believe me since it was working at the time and then lectured me on how WiFi works differently on every device but didn't listen when i said it was ALL data connection that gets lost not just WiFi. I had to argue with him in order for them to replace it.

I have had my new phone only a couple hours but so far so good... will report back tomorrow. Good luck to everyone having this issue, hopefully its just a bad batch of phones.

Sep 29, 2014 7:07 AM in response to jss92

Anytime I leave a wifi connection with my iPhone 6 it loses the cellular data connection when switching to 4G/LTE. Rebooting restores it. It was happening with 8.0 and after 8.0.2. Reset network settings, did a restore as new too. Same behavior. Turning off wifi (whether in settings or unplugging my router) and letting it aquire cell data works fine tho SMH? Contacted tech support and they think it's a hardware issue. I have an appointment at an Apple store this afternoon. Hopefully a replacement is next. This is an utter PITA.

Sep 29, 2014 4:05 PM in response to jss92

My first replacement device I received friday had the same exact issue as my original device, worked great for a couple hours then lost data connection and only a restart would re-establish.

I got second replacement device on Saturday and this time asked for a new SIM card as well since the only common piece of hardware between my original device and the first replacement. I then called Verizon to activate the SIM and IMEI and they confirmed all is well on their end with this line and the device. I also did not sign into iCloud or iTunes on my new device, its setup with no account and no apps since I wanted to eliminate anything that was shared between my original device and the first replacement. Good news is that everything has been working great for nearly 2 days now, I am going to give it another day to completely eliminate a hardware issue and then sign into my iCloud (won't restore from backup though) and see if the issue comes back. At least that way I will be able to see if its an issue with my iCloud account in which case I have no idea how to get resolved.

Extremely disappointing that I am investing all my time into this issue just so I can use the device I just spent $800 on. Nobody at Apple seems empowered enough to figure it out.

Sep 29, 2014 5:02 PM in response to tdogg5184

I just got back from the Apple store, and the tech told me that AT&T was having issues activating iphone 6's. Apple issued me a new Sim card and told me I need to take it to the AT&T store and have them activate it. I have not seen my iphone connect to the LTE network since I received it. On the way home from the store my phone did lose data connection, so it's not just when it leaves Wi-Fi. I did toggle the airplane mode and that brought it back right away so at least I don't have to reboot every time. I have an iPad air with data service and that can next to LTE. I have an appointment to get the new card installed and activated, I hope this does the trick. I'm glad you're having luck with the new Sim card, as it gives me hope that they may get mine fixed too. Hopefully others with the same issue will find this and benefit from our time troubleshooting.

Contstantly have to reboot iphone 6 to obtain data connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.