Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound on iPhone 4S after iOS 8 Upgrade

After updating to iOS 8 on my iPhone 4S, at first there kinda was sound for a brief period of time of about a day or two. However, that sound was noticeably distorted and inconsistent as it would go in an out. Now the phone is completely not outputting any sound at all for any function or app. I've already tried turning the phone off and on, no change. I tried rebooting the phone by holding the home key and power button together, no change.

Is there any fix I can implement now? Or am I stuck waiting until Apple releases a patch update to iOS 8?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 7:25 PM

I Have the same problem. No sound at all except for incoming call.

53 replies

Sep 27, 2014 2:27 PM in response to jmine83

I recently discovered something that may be of interest.

After testing sound in a variety of different apps and locations on the iPhone, for some reason, the Voice Memos app is able to play back your voice recording just fine. It even plays the button click sounds within that particular app just fine. But anywhere else, no sound at all.

Oct 15, 2014 2:17 PM in response to jmine83

I am having the same problem.

Music will play through speakers from the Apple 'Music' app. No sound for Youtube, Facebook, Map directions etc.

Have also tried on/off and reset.

I knew I should have waited a few more weeks before installing the software update. Typical Apple 'release before it's really ready' situation here.

Oct 15, 2014 5:55 PM in response to jmine83

I had a similar problem on my 4s after ios8.x update that I was able to fix. My issue was that I could not hear sound from the receiver(ear speaker) [the way most people make calls]. I could put it on speaker phone and could hear the caller but then that made the microphone inoperable, the caller couldnt hear me. I also could not hear my voice mail messages. Everything worked file over bluetooth.

I decided to test the various audio outputs (bottom speakers, ear speaker, headphones) by opening the voice memos app and creating a new memo. I then pressed play and it played over the bottom speakers. I noticed the speaker icon in the upper right hand corner of the app and so I pressed that turning it from blue to white and then replayed the memo and voila I had sound coming from the ear speaker. I then tried making a phone call and listening to my voicemails and everything worked like it used to. Seems that toggling that icon fixed everything. If your voice memo speaker icon is blue try to toggle it to white. HTH, Cheers!

Nov 4, 2014 7:01 PM in response to jmine83

For first two days of update the sounds worked fine with all apps.then only this problem muted my phone. I am able to hear voice memos and call sounds. Except this two I am unable to hear any sound from my phone.I tried reset settings and restarted my phone but nothing happens. Any one plz solve this problem which make my phone useless..I forgot to mention the volume keys are also not working with third party apps.

Nov 9, 2014 6:46 AM in response to Lolopoi123

I have the problems as well. I have 2 4s' and BOTH are affected. Anytime I make calls, the rcvr can hear me fine but I cannot hear the other party. This is a direct result of upgrading to iOS 8.1. Bluetooth did work for the first 2 days, but now it does not show any of my devices, rendering that useless too.

I can play music that is stored on the iPhone and hear it from the speakers, but when i listen to ring tones, they cut off after 1 second.

PLEASE FIX APPLE….SOON

No Sound on iPhone 4S after iOS 8 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.