Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Significant Loss of Speed

Hey all,

In my home, I have a fibre optic line (1000Mbps). I have run an ethernet line from my TV room to my bedroom computer. The cord starts in my Time Capule in my living room and if I plug the ethernet cord directly into my computer, I clock in at about 930Mbps 🙂.

However, I just added a Airport Extreme to our bedroom (so we can also have wifi). So in short, I now run an ethernet cord from my Time Capsule (in living room) to my Airport Extreme (bedroom) and then run an ethernet line from my Airport Extreme right into my computer. That gives me only about 90mbps 😮.

This is 1/10th of what I am getting if I just plug directly into my computer from my Time Capsule.

I have tried different cords but still the same result.

Any suggestions would be awesome as I am stumped here.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 3.2 GHz i5, 24GB RAM, .D.E., TV

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 7:57 AM

Hi HK Matrix,

Depending on how your network was configured, you may have an overhead issue that is creating a bottleneck between your Time Capsule and your AirPort Express. Based on your described layout, you may find the following articles helpful:

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n)

Regards,

- Brenden

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2014 7:57 AM in response to HK Matrix

Hi HK Matrix,

Depending on how your network was configured, you may have an overhead issue that is creating a bottleneck between your Time Capsule and your AirPort Express. Based on your described layout, you may find the following articles helpful:

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n)

Regards,

- Brenden

Sep 25, 2014 11:24 AM in response to HK Matrix

The AirPort Express has only 100 Mbps Ethernet ports, so if you mean to say that you have an AirPort Express......and not an AirPort Extreme.....that would explain things pretty well.

If you really do have a new AirPort Extreme, then the Ethernet ports/switch are not operating correctly and the Extreme needs to be exchanged for another unit.

Significant Loss of Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.