Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble connecting to Wifi at home with 5S

So yesterday I bought my wife an iPad mini and a 5s. I brought it home, and although the devices are connected to my home wifi, they will not actually connect to the internet. Furthermore, the other devices in my house have no problem connecting to the Wifi (like this laptop I'm writing on). The 2 new devices will connect to the internet using cellular service, but as you can imagine, I'd rather use Wifi.

I was on the phone for 2 hours yesterday will my local internet provider and they were unable to help.

I have already

- Reset network settings on both devices

- Unplugged the router and plugged it back in

- Turned both devices off and on again

- Had both devices "forget the network"

iPad is running iOS 7.1.2

5S is running iOS 7.1.1

ISP is COX Communications

Wireless modem is a UBEE

Both devices were bought from AT&T and are on AT&T Network

Any help is greatly appreciated

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 6:32 AM

1 reply

Sep 25, 2014 8:38 AM in response to Yggdrasil52

Hi Yggdrasil52,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

One thing I would check in this situation is if your network is giving your devices a self-assigned IP address. The following article explains self-assigned IP address and what steps to take if it is not self-assigned as well as what steps to take if it is self-assigned.

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Unable to access the Internet while connected to Wi-Fi

1. If you're using a public or commercial network, you may need to log in or subscribe.
  2. Check to see if you have a self-assigned IP address:
    1. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected and tap User uploaded file.
    2. If your IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx, you may not be able to access the Internet.
  3. If you do not have a self-assigned IP address, see if other Wi-Fi devices on your network have Internet access.
    • If they do not, consult with your network administrator or ISP for further assistance.
    • If they do, reset network settings on your device by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:
      • previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
      • recently used Bluetooth accessories
      • VPN and APN settings

Have a great day,

Joe

Trouble connecting to Wifi at home with 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.