Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari very slow, unable to type text after iOS 8 update

I Am currently using my first generation iPad mini to type this. I updated my iPad to iOS 8 Septermber 19th. Typing in an open text box is is fine, but when I try to fill out form boxes, it is slow and buggy. It types out one letter about every 1.5 seconds. this is so unacceptable -- I use my iPad daily for the forms I use for work. Anyone else having this issue? Will there be a "8.0.1" soon?

iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 11:40 AM

8 replies

Sep 30, 2014 2:43 AM in response to avillan610

Me too exactly the same. But I did notice that when filling out my name and password to login here it was normal speed. Maybe it is because Apple are logging every keystroke we make on other websites for commercial reasons. Just saying, I hope they fix it soon, because I'm thinking of upgrading my iPhone.... But at this rate it will be an android, hope they get their **** together soon

Oct 14, 2014 7:17 PM in response to Tonycuts

I'm getting numerous complaints from users that typing is unbearably slow in Safari on IOS 8 and evidently this problem is widespread.

The issue occurs when there are many input items in an HTML form. The problem can be seen on this page which has a lot of input fields:

http://www.wordplays.com/words-with-friends-cheat

The problem does not occur here, this page has a simple form with a small number of inputs.

http://www.wordplays.com/scrabble-help

I have not found a fix for this. I've tried hiding inputs using display:none, but that works until the inputs are enabled again, and then does not work until the page refreshed.

I have not seen anything to indicate that Apple has recognized this issue and intends to address it? I do not regularly use Apple forums. Is there a place to formally file a bug report and track it?

Jan 19, 2015 1:27 PM in response to avillan610

We've noticed the same issues. An existing Web form which we've had on our Web site for over a decade is now unusable in iOS 8 devices. Once a user attempts to type into a text input the keystrokes (touches) take 1.5-2 seconds each. No code has changed on our server, they just upgraded their devices to iOS 8 and now complain that entering input is very slow. Problem only affects text inputs not text areas. Lots of people complain about the same issue all over developer forms and StackExchange. No known fix yet, except to recommend all customers use Chrome.

Jan 29, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Mark Alway

It seemed that this issue was fixed in 8.1.1 for a while, but now the issue is occurring again (in 8.1.1, 8.1.2, and 8.1.3). However, now the problem exists in Chrome as well!! How can that be? Seems to me that this must be a different bug, one that is an iOS problem, not a Safari issue.

The only solution we have found is using the Mercury Browser - this one does not seem to have the problem (in fact, it's very fast).

Safari very slow, unable to type text after iOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.