Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 Died, trying to restore to my old iphone 4

Both my 5 and 4 used to show up in itunes. I backed up my 5 the night before it died. I thought it would be easy to install the 5 back up onto the 4, but alas, I haven't been able to do it.

I was using the 4 a mini ipad if you will. I just used it on wifi and all was well, it was still running some version of ios 5.

When I hooked up the 4 to itunes in hopes of installing the back up from the 5, the restore menu in Itunes only gave me the option of restoring the old back ups from the 4, not the new back up from the 5. So I thought I'd force the 4 into recover mode, recover it,and hope itunes would then show the option to use the back up from the 5.

I did that, but I guess the servers at Apple are so overwhelmed updating everyone to ios 8, the progress bar said it would take 25 hours to download. This is with a 40 MPS connection (I checked), so I'm sure it isn't my internet connection.

So I took the 4 to AT&T and just had the SIM card activated and I'm using the phone. I'd still like to get the 5 backup onto the phone as I'm missing a lot of stuff on the 4 that was on the 5.

I guess the 4 had previously downloaded the update to 7.1.something so I let that run last night. I called AT&T and talked to Apple who said I can retore at the store and I won't be subject to the 30 hour download. I have an appt tomorrow. BUT...

Now the iphone 5 does not show up as ever having existed in itunes. I don't want to come home with the restored phone and not still not be able to load up the back up. I was thinking maybe I should try to copy the back up to my laptop, take the laptop with the back up and the 4 to the genius bar so we can load it up there.

But how do I do that? How do I transfer the back up file? Since the 4 is not "married" to the laptop itunes, will it work? How can I get the iphone 5 back up to show up in either the itunes on my desktop or laptop as an option to restore with? (short of hooking up the old phone which won't power up?)

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 1:14 PM

1 reply

Sep 25, 2014 2:21 PM in response to JTFX

Hi, JTFX.

Thank you for visiitng Apple Support Communities.

If the iOS on your iPhone 4 is older than what iOS is on the iPhone 5, the backup will not be seen. Here is an article that explains how to resolve that issue.

iOS: Unable to restore from backup of a newer device

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3682

You can verify if a backup is present by following the steps below.

Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Cheers,

Jason H.

Iphone 5 Died, trying to restore to my old iphone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.