Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rear camera on iphone 5 not working after ios 8 update why?

My iPhone 5 rear camera is no longer working after ios 8 update its just black I can see the flash choice the hdr and the timer but other than that it is a black screen

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 1:40 PM

7 replies

Sep 25, 2014 2:31 PM in response to fjci2003

Hi there fjci2003,

You may find the troubleshooting steps in the article below helpful.

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You see a closed lens or black screen

If you see a closed lens or black screen when you open the Camera app, try these steps:

1. Make sure that there’s nothing blocking the camera lens. If you’re using a case, try removing it.
  2. Force the app to close, then open the Camera app again.
  3. Restart your device, then open the Camera app again.
  4. If your device has a front and rear camera, try both cameras by tapping the camera swap icon User uploaded file. If you see the closed lens or black screen on only one camera, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.

-Griff W.

Nov 10, 2014 11:25 AM in response to fjci2003

Same problem. So I decided to go to the Apple store. I basically told the bearded tech guy that the rear camera stopped working after I upgraded it to the IOS 8. He ran a diagnostics, found nothing wrong and told me that there wasn't anything he could do because the warranty expired. Th only thing he suggested was to do reset the phone to see if that fixed the problem (which I did and nothing) or buy another iPhone 5 for $285..... What a joke! Not only my camera isn't working, it doesn't connect to the blue tooth of my Toyota truck after the IOS 8 upgrade. He told me to go to the Toyota dealership so they can upgrade the software in my truck so it can be compatible with the IOS 8. The heck with it, I like the iPhone, but for a company that has more cash at hand than the US treasury to treat its customers this way and leave them hanging, is totally unacceptable.

rear camera on iphone 5 not working after ios 8 update why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.