Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 step verification with find my iphone

In the faq for 2 step verification the how it works states "When you set up two-step verification, you register one or more trusted devices. A trusted device is a device you control that can receive 4-digit verification codes using either SMS or Find My iPhone.". Since SMS is turned off on all our devices I'm trying to find out how to use the Find My iPhone option, but I keep being led back to providing a phone number for SMS. Find My iPhone is turned on in iCloud settings and the phone shows up in the Find iPhone app. Any way to solve this?

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 2:32 PM

9 replies

Sep 23, 2014 2:39 PM in response to dougyy

My memory from when I set it up and the quote below from Apple ID: About two-step verification and SMS confirms that you must supply at least one phone number that is capable of receiving text messages (SMS). The phone does not need to be an iPhone -- just any ams capable phone.

When you set up two-step verification for your Apple ID, you must provide at least one SMS-capable phone number to receive temporary verification codes from Apple. You'll use these codes to verify your identity and help keep your account secure.

Sep 23, 2014 2:40 PM in response to dougyy

Another site Frequently asked questions about two-step verification for Apple ID also states that at least one must be ams capable:

When you set up two-step verification, you register one or more trusted devices. A trusted device is a device you control that can receive 4-digit verification codes using either SMS or Find My iPhone. You're required to provide at least one SMS capable phone number.

Sep 23, 2014 2:43 PM in response to dougyy

Here is the FAQ article you reference:

Frequently asked questions about two-step verification for Apple ID

There are actually two parts to the response to your question:

1. The sentence immediately after the section you quoted is important. It says: "You're required to provide at least one SMS capable phone number."

2. There is a section further down entitled "How do I use Find My iPhone notifications to receive verification codes?". But I believe this step occurs later after you have gone through the SMS requirement.

Sep 23, 2014 2:56 PM in response to dougyy

I should have included the following:

in the 2-step sign up process i enter my phone number

then i hit the "Didn't receive the code?" highlight

which supplies me a dialog box "

I didn’t receive my verification code.

SMS messages may be delayed depending on your cellular operator’s coverage and other service interruptions.

If you continue having trouble receiving a code via SMS, you can try sending a code to one of your Find My iPhone-enabled devices.

Oct 16, 2014 7:57 AM in response to brha11

I don't remember if you can add a trusted device (iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone) before you set up the SMS device but I do know that you need at least one SMS capable device set up -- and I wouldn't want to activate 2 step without that working anyway. If you haven't been able to do that, I would contact Apple account security: Apple ID: Contacting Apple for help with Apple ID account security

2 step verification with find my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.