Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage doesn't send more than 2 photos to non Apple device

I just got my new iPhone 6 plus and I have kinda ignored this problem with iPhone 5s. If I send more than 2 photos to non Apple device it says. "iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message." WHAT??? Is it a glitch in iOS 8? I tried toggling iMessage setting on and off in settings "waiting for activation" would appear. I have an Apple ID. But for some reason ever since iOS 7 .1 update I cannot send more than two photos to a non-Apple device. Most of my family & friends have a Samsung. Please help.

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 10:19 PM

I have unlimited texting. I want to know why I cannot send more than two photos. I send as many photos as I want in iMessage. If I send it as an SMS it says: Error: "iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message." I don't understand.

12 replies

Apr 5, 2017 2:39 PM in response to bwilliamsdc

Having the same issue. Just switched from

Sprint iPhone 7 to T-Mobile with a new iPhone 7. On sprint, I could send MANY photos in a text to iPhone or android users with no problem. I now get this "error" message when trying to send > 2 photos to android users; it makes no sense, since they don't even use iMessage! As someone who texts a lot of photos to a lot of android users, this is ridiculous!

Sep 5, 2017 3:38 PM in response to palmtreesarenice

I have T-Mobile too (as of 21 days ago) and this also is a culture shock to me. I went through Apple Tech support, T-Mobile tech support, got a new sim card, replaced my iPhone 7s on warranty, created a new Apple ID and set up phone as new and still have the same iMessage error when trying to send more than 2 photos to non-Apple devices and Apple devices w/o iMessage activated. I tried this with my husbands iPhone SE (also T-Mobile), and my neighbors iPhone 5s (also T-Mobile) and they received the same error message when trying to send more than two photos from their phones/sims. It must be a carrier issue. I would complain about this issue so they change the carrier restrictions or at least try to resolve this issue.

Sep 23, 2014 2:44 PM in response to sammar22

sammar22 wrote:

I just got my new iPhone 6 plus and I have kinda ignored this problem with iPhone 5s. If I send more than 2 photos to non Apple device it says. "iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message." WHAT??? Is it a glitch in iOS 8? I tried toggling iMessage setting on and off in settings "waiting for activation" would appear. I have an Apple ID. But for some reason ever since iOS 7 .1 update I cannot send more than two photos to a non-Apple device. Most of my family & friends have a Samsung. Please help.

Sorry you can't send an imessage to a non apple device.

It will send the photos as a MMS. Do you have it turn on in message settings and are you provisioned by your carrier to use MMS?

Contact your phone carrier as MMS is a carrier feature to resolve your issue.

Dec 26, 2014 10:13 PM in response to sammar22

I am also having this issue, checked with T-Mobile and they see no issues with my MMS provisioning. I tried disabling iMessage, and still have the same issue. I try to send it to my brother who has an Android and still says that I needed to enable iMessage, which I do, and it still does not attempt to send. When I send 2 or less pics, it works just fine. I have tried everything from resetting the network setting to wiping the phone and setting the correct timezone. I am on an iPhone 6.

Aug 5, 2015 6:24 PM in response to alicepattinson

Last week I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6. In doing so I also changed carriers.

I'm skilled with texting photos to iPhone users and non-Apple users. Not being able to text out photos in the way that I'm accustomed to is culture shock.

Could it be that T Mobile operates texting in a more restricted fashion than AT&T? I tried all the suggested tricks listed above, not one has worked. Not a happy camper right now. Suggestions welcome.

Aug 5, 2015 6:34 PM in response to sammar22

Many of those responding to your question refer to iMessage. That is an Apple only service and allows you to send messages to other Apple devices that are an iPhone, iPad or Mac. However iMessages can not be sent to non Apple devices.

But when the Messages app on you iPhone encounters a non Apple device it reverts to sending a SMS or MMS text message, SMA messages are text only. MMS messages contain photos.

The carrier in use determines the specs for MMS and SMS messages. Your carrier obviously is provisions correctly. They have indicated that to you. But the person you are sendning photos too might not be able to receive more than 2 photos in one MMS message.

I suggest your send multiple messages.

Apr 8, 2016 1:56 PM in response to sammar22

Just starting having this with an iPhone 6S on T-Mobile after updating to iOS 9.3.1. I've never had this problem before.

The situation is that you try to send a message with more than two photos (in my case, 5) to a non-iPhone user (or a non-iPhone user + an iPhone user in a group chat). As someone indicated this is an MMS, not an iMessage.

In the past it sends fine. Now I get an error: Cannot Send Message - iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message.

Doesn't make any sense. The recipient does not have an iPhone and never has so iMessage being on or off has no bearing. In any event, iMessage IS on (although it shouldn't matter). What's the deal with this?

iMessage doesn't send more than 2 photos to non Apple device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.