Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add emergency contact iOS 8 medical ID

At the edit screen when I attempt to add emergency contact, it searches contacts, then gives me no option for selecting the contact as emergency contact. Anyone having this issue and how do I add the contact. This is potentially a very valuable feature, but I can't use it

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2016 4:42 PM

Almost correct, IrishCowboy.

• Go into Contacts
  • Select your person
  • DO NOT go to Edit
  • Scroll down to LINKED CONTACTS
  • Select which iCloud contact you want to use (there are 4 listed for my husband)
  • NOW you will see a message in blue that says: Use This Name For Unified Card
  • Select that
  • Close Contacts
  • Go back to Health app
  • Now, when you "add emergency contact" it will take you back to Contacts and you can select that person
21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2016 4:42 PM in response to IrishCowboy

Almost correct, IrishCowboy.

• Go into Contacts
  • Select your person
  • DO NOT go to Edit
  • Scroll down to LINKED CONTACTS
  • Select which iCloud contact you want to use (there are 4 listed for my husband)
  • NOW you will see a message in blue that says: Use This Name For Unified Card
  • Select that
  • Close Contacts
  • Go back to Health app
  • Now, when you "add emergency contact" it will take you back to Contacts and you can select that person

Sep 7, 2015 12:11 AM in response to OValenz

Curiously my wife, running the same iOS version and patch number on iPhone 5 was able to update all details via the Contacts page. On my iPhone 6 I could not add emergency contacts but could add blood group and a photo. The only way I could add contact numbers was via the health app for which I have no other use whatever.

Sep 11, 2015 8:57 AM in response to LMCSR

The problem I am experiencing is the Health App will allow only certain Emergency Contacts to be added from my Contacts list. I can add my wife but not my son's contact. On my wife's phone I can add my son but not me. Is there a standard or format that the contact information must be in before the Medical ID will accept it in the Health App?

Using iphone 6 64GB

Sep 16, 2015 2:05 PM in response to LMCSR

I, too, have the EXACT same problem as you. Just had my 6 Plus 64GB swapped out for a new phone two days ago and the new phone won't allow me to enter 'Emergency Contact.' My previous 6 Plus allowed me to do so with no problems.

Others in this thread said "go to the Health App" to enter the contact. That's what I've been doing! Where else could one enter it?

C'mon Apple, help us out here with this important feature!!

Sep 28, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Nickfromaffton

I had the same problem on my wife's phone.

When I tried to choose certain contacts they were greyed out and were not selectable. What I found was that particular contact was linked back to her contact.

Go to your contacts, edit the contact you want, scroll to the bottom and make sure it is not linked back to you. If it is unlink it.

That fixed it for me. I have no idea how the contact go linked back to her.

Oct 28, 2015 11:11 AM in response to LMCSR

Figured this out. In my case, it was Facebook linked contacts.

• Go into your Contacts
  • Edit the person you want to add as an emergency contact.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the entry where it shows the "Linked Contacts" section.
  • You may see a number of link sources, including iCloud, Facebook, Outlook or others.
  • Assuming the contact info you want is in your iCloud contacts, tap on the entry labeled iCloud.
  • Tap on "Use This Name for Unified Card"
  • Go back into Health/Medical ID and you should now be able to select that contact successfully.

Nov 9, 2015 10:28 AM in response to IrishCowboy

I was able to follow your instructions all the way down until the step "Use This Name for Unified Card" I do not have this message to be able to tap on it. Just like the other commenters, I was able to add my daughter but not my husband as an emergency contact. My husbands contact info is grayed out.

Solved the problem by deleting all linked contacts to my husband such as Facebook and Gmail. Once his links were deleted I was able to select his name from Apple's Health App. This is an obvious bug that Apple needs to fix for the next OS release.

Cannot add emergency contact iOS 8 medical ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.