Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sophos detected OSX/VSearch-A and OSX/VSearch-D, but cleanup fails...where do I go from here?

Hi,

A friend downloaded something to my computer from a file-sharing website, and Sophos Antivirus detected 2 threats, zero issues. They show up as OSX/VSearch-A and OSX/VSearch-D. I tried to "clean up threats" in Sophos' quarantine manager, but I jut get a message that says cleanup failed. What would a good course of action be?

I'll try to provide all the relevant information, but please let me know if there're any other details that might be useful.

Thanks!

Here are the details for OSX/VSearch-A...

User uploaded file

Here's a continuation of the details for OSX/VSearch-A (at the bottom of the screenshot)...

User uploaded file

And here they are for OSX/VSearch-D...

User uploaded file

Finally, here's the icon that appeared on my desktop when the file downloaded...User uploaded file, along with a popup that told me to "double click here," which I x'ed out of. Let me know if there's any other info I should provide. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 5:25 PM

According to your screenshots, you didn't actually install the "VSearch" trojan; you just downloaded the installer. If that's really all you did, just unmount the image and delete the file you downloaded.

5 replies

Sep 23, 2014 5:26 PM in response to emiska

If you x'd out of the installer, then you did not install the "Vsearch" adware and no harm has come from merely having downloaded it.

1. Drag the InstallOptimizer icon to the Trash to unmount it.
  2. Drag the downloaded .dmg file to the Trash also.
  3. Empty the Trash.
  4. Use caution when an unsolicited popup spontaneously appears. For an explanation or how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for one possible solution read How to install adware.

Sophos detected OSX/VSearch-A and OSX/VSearch-D, but cleanup fails...where do I go from here?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.