Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Devices cannot connect to iPhone 6 Hotspot

This is kind of a weird issue, I recently purchased the 4.7" IP6 from T-Mobile whose plan includes 5 GB of Tethering every month. When I setup the hotspot feature, it looks like my devices are rapidly connecting, immediately disconnecting, and connecting over again. This cycle continues for a few minutes before the devices seem to give up trying to connect. I have tried both my laptop and another phone and the iPhone 6 behaves the same way.

I have been able to tether via USB with only a few minor issues (it took me a couple hard restarts of the IP6 to get my laptop to recognize the devices). Neither my laptop or my other phone were recognizable with the IP6 bluetooth search, but it looks like that is a know issue.

Did I just get a dud? Anyone else experiencing weird tethering issues?

iPhone 6, iOS 8, T-Mobile

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2017 10:36 AM

I know this is an old string, but this helped me today to resolve a similar issue, rapid connection and dropping of hotspot connection. In my case, it seemed to be a Window's 10 issue. My windows 7 laptop connected perfectly, but the Window's 10 did the rapid connect/drop. I was able to fix this by changing the wifi name (i.e., the name on my iPhone). I think the problem was that the original name had an apostrophe and a space (john's iphone). When I changed it to a name with only alphas and no spaces, the windows 10 connected perfectly.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2017 10:36 AM in response to venkol

I know this is an old string, but this helped me today to resolve a similar issue, rapid connection and dropping of hotspot connection. In my case, it seemed to be a Window's 10 issue. My windows 7 laptop connected perfectly, but the Window's 10 did the rapid connect/drop. I was able to fix this by changing the wifi name (i.e., the name on my iPhone). I think the problem was that the original name had an apostrophe and a space (john's iphone). When I changed it to a name with only alphas and no spaces, the windows 10 connected perfectly.

Aug 25, 2017 1:44 AM in response to venkol

Tried two computers (1 x Win 8.1 and 1 x Win 10) with two phones (1 x iPhone, and 1 x Android).

Basically neither computer could connect to the iPhone, but both computers could connect to the other phone.

Isolation indicates the problem being the iPhone.

This is the Event Log (Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WLAN-AutoConfig > Operational) from a Windows 10 machine trying to connect to iPhone 6 10.3.3:

=========

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Interface GUID: {c7dfd32b-f55f-4ece-81de-eae79950c847}

Connection Mode: Connection to a secure network without a profile

Profile Name: Jessica’s iPhone

SSID: Jessica’s iPhone

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Failure Reason:The specific network is not available.

RSSI: 255

=========

I notice that the Profile Name is the same as the SSID which shouldn't be an issue, although there are odd characters where the apostrophe should be.

Changing the Profile Name / SSID to something else without the apostorphe did the trick.

Hope this helps someone else who hits this Apple / Microsoft interoperability type bug. Pretty sure this wasn't an issue on a Windows 7 machine, but who knows.

A problem well defined is a problem half solved.

Cheers.

Sep 26, 2014 12:44 AM in response to venkol

I have been experiencing a similar issue. Tethering my iPad mini to my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth worked just fine. Now I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 8 the iPad connects to the iPhone 6 but then disconnects almost imediately. I can not be sure if this is the phone or the software but it deffinately does not work like it used to. I too would be interested if anyone knows why this is and what the solution is. Maybe wait wait for an operating system update!

Nov 5, 2014 2:30 AM in response to AppleJoe

Sorry but this feedback was useless at all and does not change anything! If i try to connect my Laptop with iPhone 6 (iOS8.1) Hotspot it connects, disconnects, connect, dissconnect! Sometimes dissconect happens after 1-5 seconds, sometimes it works for 30-60 seconds....! No reason to see except that this maybe is an iOS8.1 bug

I tried with other phones (Windows Phone and Android) and it works without any problems - so it´s nothing wrong with my Notebook!

Nov 6, 2014 10:37 AM in response to MSETCAT

Try this: on your iphone6 go to settings/general/reset and then hit "reset networks settings". Phone will restart and on the downside you'll lose your stored wifi passwords, but your phone will now have a refreshed profile when talking to your laptop/iPad etc.

I was having the on-off-on and cannot connect settings when tethering my lenovo laptop to the i6, but this fixed it!

Nov 7, 2014 2:46 AM in response to venkol

joe_7399. The link is useless and does not help to resolve the issue of tethering via bluetooth. I have tried resetting all settings and I still get nothing. When I do manage to obtain a constant bluetooth connection the iPad still can not get the internet.

the only work around I have come across that works so far is tethering via wifi and changing my iPhone settings to never put the phone to sleep (auto lock). This leaves the screen on thus the wifi radio on the phone does not turn off either. But this is not good for my phones screen or battery.

Apple make software for apple hardware, apple make the iPhone and Apple make the iPad. These things should work seamlessly. Unfortunately, they don't. Over the years I have seen more and more bugs appear in the software. Apple should work on resolving these otherwise they may see customers moving to Android operating systems.

iI'm really annoyed with this issue. I'm no software engineer, but can't believe it is a difficult fix. I'm also surprised I can't find more online about this issue. For me this is a big deal. It is the most convenient way to get my iPad online.

Nov 7, 2014 3:07 AM in response to davesastar

Definitely true - so many new bugs i did not expect! 😕

Now i found an additional bug 😮with that: If i connect via Bluetooth with my car to use the hands-free-phone system (don´t know how to call it correct in english) then I can talk between 30sec and 3 mins - and then suddenly the connection gets lost! After 3-10 sec the connection is back again and i hear the others talking again! Crazy.....😠

APPLE: PLS TAKE CARE OF THAT - we all wait for an update to solve that problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! âš 

Nov 15, 2014 9:16 AM in response to venkol

I am sad to report the same issue. Year old ipad mini was able to connect to my old iPhone 4s hotspot no problem. I now have an iPhone 6 restored from the iphone 4s - so same settings. But it can't connect to the iphone 6 in any way - Bluetooth, wifi or any other means. It can see it but it gives an error message. This is really disappointing Apple. They are both your devices. How can handoff or any other service work if this basic compatibility won't work. I would expect this from Microsoft- not apple.

Nov 28, 2014 12:41 PM in response to venkol

Did you ever get your issue resolved? I just got my iphone 6 and it worked the first few times when I used the hot spot but now it doesn't. My laptop sees the iphone and tries to connect but all I see is a flashing of the blue header - maybe it is connecting/disconnecting rapidly? Finally the laptop gives up.

Apple, STOP posting the above link, it does not solve the problem. When can we expect a real solution?????

Devices cannot connect to iPhone 6 Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.