Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot from bootcamp after sudden crash

Hi,

So today I was playing cs:go, running bootcamp, when suddenly my mac crashed and rebooted to mavericks... I've tried several things on this thread but I still can't boot on bootcamp... I really need some files I have there and I can't access them -.-' Is there a way to fix this and get bootcamp to work again? Tell me what you need from terminal so I can upload it here.

Btw, when I created the bootcamp partition I created it with 100gb and later I upgraded it to 400gb without reinstalling bootcamp but it as worked fine for more than a month so I'm assuming that is not the problem...

I really need some help with this...

Thanks,

Gabriel

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 6:22 PM

1. The ~300 GB is sitting right above the GPT#4 entry. Your NTFS header is corrupt.

2. You have two NTFS entries. GPT#4's start/size match the entry #3 in the Fdisk output, but is unbootable (the missing "*").

3. The Fdisk entry #4 has all zeroes and is bootable, but has invalid start/size (0/0).

4. Download GPT Fdisk from SourceForge.net. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/).

5. Run sudo gdisk /dev/disk0. Delete GPT#4 entry.

6. Add GPT#4 again with start = 1206448520, end=1953525134 (1 before the SEC GPT Table start). You will lose Recovery HD. If you need it, use Command+R to re-install OS X after Windows is functional (not before).

7. In Gdisk, re-create a Hybrid MBR with 2 3 4 (and allow it to add the EFI into the MBR). If you need step-by-step, please post back here.

8. Reboot into OS X.

9. Verify that Bootcamp volume is visible in Finder.

10. Verify that you can see files in Bootcamp volume in Finder.

11. Verify that you can select Bootcamp in System Preferences -> Startup Disk.

12. Select Bootcamp and reboot.

If there are any error messages, please stop and post back here.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2014 6:22 PM in response to fallen002

1. The ~300 GB is sitting right above the GPT#4 entry. Your NTFS header is corrupt.

2. You have two NTFS entries. GPT#4's start/size match the entry #3 in the Fdisk output, but is unbootable (the missing "*").

3. The Fdisk entry #4 has all zeroes and is bootable, but has invalid start/size (0/0).

4. Download GPT Fdisk from SourceForge.net. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/).

5. Run sudo gdisk /dev/disk0. Delete GPT#4 entry.

6. Add GPT#4 again with start = 1206448520, end=1953525134 (1 before the SEC GPT Table start). You will lose Recovery HD. If you need it, use Command+R to re-install OS X after Windows is functional (not before).

7. In Gdisk, re-create a Hybrid MBR with 2 3 4 (and allow it to add the EFI into the MBR). If you need step-by-step, please post back here.

8. Reboot into OS X.

9. Verify that Bootcamp volume is visible in Finder.

10. Verify that you can see files in Bootcamp volume in Finder.

11. Verify that you can select Bootcamp in System Preferences -> Startup Disk.

12. Select Bootcamp and reboot.

If there are any error messages, please stop and post back here.

Sep 23, 2014 7:01 PM in response to fallen002

sudo gdisk /dev/disk0

type 'r' for Recovery Transformation Menu

type 'h' for Hybrid MBR

Recovery/transformation command (? for help): h

WARNING! Hybrid MBRs are flaky and dangerous! If you decide not to use one,

just hit the Enter key at the below prompt and your MBR partition table will

be untouched.

Type from one to three GPT partition numbers, separated by spaces, to be

added to the hybrid MBR, in sequence: 2 3 4

Place EFI GPT (0xEE) partition first in MBR (good for GRUB)? (Y/N): y

Creating entry for GPT partition #2 (MBR partition #2)

Enter an MBR hex code (default AF):

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): n

Creating entry for GPT partition #3 (MBR partition #3)

Enter an MBR hex code (default AB):

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): n

Creating entry for GPT partition #4 (MBR partition #4)

Enter an MBR hex code (default 07):

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): y

type 'w' to write MBR

type 'y' to confirm the write.

Sep 24, 2014 7:38 AM in response to fallen002

1. The GPT does not look correct. It needs to be Microsoft Basic Data (1454211072 499998720 4 GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7). This is why diskutil list showing it as Apple_HFS. You will need to use '07' when the GPT is created, and not use the default of AF.

2. The MBR is correct.

3. The dd command needs to use rdisk0s4 not rdisks0.

Sep 24, 2014 8:41 AM in response to Loner T

First sector (34-1953525134, default = 1206448520) or {+-}size{KMGTP}: 1206448520

Last sector (1206448520-1953525134, default = 1953525134) or {+-}size{KMGTP}: 1953525134 Are these the right values?

Current type is 'Apple HFS/HFS+'

Hex code or GUID (L to show codes, Enter = AF00): what should be here?

I didn't change the code because I didn't know if I should but basically in the end it didn't have the right GPT..

Thanks

Can't boot from bootcamp after sudden crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.