Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 loaded. Pop3 now defaults to IMAP. E-mails coming to phone from PC now autodelete as soon as they open. Can't change IMAP to pop3 on phone, which could fix problem. Internet provider uses pop3 server.

iOS 8 loaded in to iPhone, but now messages forwarded from my pop3 account delete as soon as they are opened. Others don't arrive at all, but show up on my PC. I note that my phone has changed to IMAP from my iOS 7.xxx pop account. Any ideas as to how to change back to pop account or just keep messages from deleting? I understand that IMAP allows deletions on one device to delete on all devices. Don't want that to happen. Need my pop3 back.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 6:11 PM

38 replies

Sep 27, 2014 12:45 PM in response to Philsparke

The only way I've found to mitigate the situation is to set the iPhone mail's "deletion" to Archive instead of Trash when an email is read and you want to remove it from your inbox. Still not ideal, because I then have to resend it to myself from my iPhone when I get back to my home office to work it on my laptop (PC).

I don't work e-mails from my iPhone that require lengthy responses or that will have attachments. I just need to open-scan-delete and work the ones I need when I return to my home office. Yes, I have to delete the true trash ones from my laptop again, but that isn't a big deal because I've already scanned the incoming list.

Very disappointing to see that the iOS 8 programmers seem to have decided that we didn't need that option as users.

Oct 5, 2014 1:32 PM in response to diana222

Thank you. Your method does work. I'm back on a "pop" account and can scan and delete routing messages from my iPhone, while still keeping all of them on my PC to work when I return home. Another person sent a similar "fix" idea. The key is to fool the software with a fake e-mail address. Would have been simpler to just let us know about this with the software update.

Thanks again.

Oct 8, 2014 2:06 PM in response to MJQANONYMOUS

I had the same problem. And I, too, had trouble to geht what Diana222 was saying.

This is how it works. Go and start creating a new account. You have to enter your Name (whatever name will be on your email), enter your email address, BUT when you have to enter your email password type ANYTHING BUT YOUR PASSWORD and continue setting up the account. The phone will notice that your password ist wrong and will ask you again. And in this window you will have the possibility to choose between pop and imap. Then you have to change the imap info to pop3.whateveryourmailis.com and enter your correct password.

Oct 8, 2014 3:06 PM in response to MJQANONYMOUS

You would not enter that information. That was my example for my ISP.

My suggestion is to type something incorrect regarding your login....for me, it was to spell COX incorrectly. The reason is that the iphone will go to the ISP to find out if your email offers IMAP and automatically set it up as an IMAP account.

if you type your email address incorrectly, then it will give you the option of choosing IMAP or POP on the next screen. You can correct your email address later.

My advice is to enter your email address incorrectly not your password....entering passwords incorrectly may cause other issues.

iOS 8 loaded. Pop3 now defaults to IMAP. E-mails coming to phone from PC now autodelete as soon as they open. Can't change IMAP to pop3 on phone, which could fix problem. Internet provider uses pop3 server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.