Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing : Why not ask to buy for adults ?

I don't see why we can't turn on "ask to buy" for adults. I want to control what I share....

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 4:17 AM

8 replies

Dec 18, 2017 1:26 PM in response to ed2345

While your response isn't as disrespectful as CSeanK's, it still ignores the basic premise of family sharing. Even if, as you put it, "primarily designed for cases having one adult (the Organizer) who is taking financial responsibility for one or more dependent minors.," it is mis-designed. As Dsquall's situation shows, one can take 'financial responsibility' for another, dependant family member. Saying it is limited to minors is ignorant. It is also not Apple's policy to limit sharing to minors. Moreover, it is NOT about taking 'financial responsibility' for someone. In fact, it's the opposite: it's about providing financial assistance to a family member without just handing over your wallet. As I stated above, why would I hand over my credit card to my 19-year-old? Are you saying that I shouldn't share my iTunes with her unless I'm prepared to let her do whatever she wants with my credit card?

I should note, I use Microsoft and Android products as well. This flaw is strictly an Apple problem. While Apple does many things better than Microsoft, Google, or Samsung, this is NOT one of them. This is flat out defective by design.

Dec 19, 2017 7:49 AM in response to prozac84

prozac84 wrote:

...... This flaw is strictly an Apple problem.

Prozac84,

Actually Family Sharing at the Google Play (Android) Store works the same way. Here is the info from Purchase approvals on Google Play - Android - Google Play Help (bold added):

"Family members need your approval for all purchases made using the family payment method, including paid apps or items sold inside apps. This setting is only available for family members under 18."

By the rules of this Forum, we are not allowed to speculate why Apple (and Google) have decided to do it this way. However, as mentioned previously, you can submit feedback directly to Apple at the Feedback link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Nov 24, 2015 3:48 AM in response to CSeanK

"Because adults are not children and shouldn't have to ask permission to make purchases.. If you do not trust them or do not want anyone else charging to your card, don't invite them to be a part of your family sharing group."

That's a silly statement. I searched for this topic because I have to set up an iPad for my 80 year old grandmother from a non-english speaking background. I trust my grandmother in many aspects, however, I do not trust her armed with my credit card and an iPad, she'd probably end up by out the entire applestore and every single in-app purchase.

Nov 25, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Dsquall

Dsquall,

Family Sharing is primarily designed for cases having one adult (the Organizer) who is taking financial responsibility for one or more dependent minors.

It really does not work out all that well in other situations, such as yours.

If you would like to suggest improvements to Apple, here is the feedback link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Family sharing : Why not ask to buy for adults ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.