Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant - Computers fail to find each other - Dell Windows 7hp to iMac OS X Mavericks - all firewalls on both machines are disabled

I dont post here often but after a few days of trying different things I am at a loss so here it goes:

Previous Machine: c2009 Dell, Windows 7 Home Premium

New Machine: late 2012 iMac, OS X Mavericks, Parallels 10 Installed

Both computers connected to existing business network via ethernet. All firewalls and updates are disabled on both computers, screen savers and sleep modes are also disabled.

The first strategy was to transfer data using the Parallels Migration Wizard. The wizard finds the PC and begins the transfer, but gets to about 1/5 progress and hangs/ stops every time in the same spot. I disabled everything (firewall, etc.) I can think of on the windows PC and it still hangs in the same place every time.

The second strategy was to use the Migration Assistant that came on the iMac. The computers fail to find each other every time. so I haven't been able to even start the process. Searching on the iMac Network folder I can find and access the Dell (after changing security settings on the Dell to allow this). From the Dell Network folder I am not able to find or access the iMac.

So, I have submitted a help request to Parallels to see what they can do to help, but I also wanted to reach out here in case someone has experienced this before.

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Windows 7 Home Premium

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 7:06 AM

1 reply

Migration Assistant - Computers fail to find each other - Dell Windows 7hp to iMac OS X Mavericks - all firewalls on both machines are disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.