Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete individual messages

Since updating to iOS8, I can no longer delete an individual text message on my iPad Air. This function still works on my iPhone 5S running IOS8 though. I used to be able to hold my finger down on a specific text, select more and the little trash can icon would appear. Now, on my iPad, I don't get the trash can, but only the delete all option. Anyone else run into this?

iPad, iOS 8, 64GB iPad Air (Wifi)

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 7:12 AM

14 replies

Sep 24, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Burgleklutt

I Do not see anything in the settings that I think would prevent the trash can from showing Other than for how long they are to be kept. Settings>Messages>Keep Messages. I have Forever selected. If you do have old messages showing, and obviously you do, I don't see how that setting would prevent the trash can from appearing.

Have you forced closed the Messages app and reset your iPad? Reset all settings?

In order to close apps in iOS 7 or 8, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

You can also try resetting all settings. You will not lose any data, but most of the device settings will have to be entered in the settings app again. Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings.

Oct 2, 2014 6:49 PM in response to Demo

This is the answer! Thank you.

Again.. to reiterate.

Tap your button (The little button at the bottom you use to activate siri, etc.. "Home button") -- Tap it twice.

This pulls up this screen:

User uploaded file

Then you swipe up to close (I closed all apps to be safe) like this:

User uploaded file

And they Trash Can which wasn't there.. Now is! 🙂

User uploaded file

This was with an Iphone 4S just for reference.

I'm sure turning the phone off (hard reboot) would work as well.

May 19, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Burgleklutt

WWww hen I tap/hold a Messages conversation to get the pop up menu to show up, it sometimes doesn't show up at all. I can Tap/hold, the pop up menu comes up, I tap more then delete all. I can do this with 3-4 messages before the pop up menu stops coming up. I then have to relaunch the Messages app every 3rd or 4th time in order to get the pop up menu to work again. This has been happening since the feature came out. i haven't seen any articles about this happening to anyone else, except this thread. No pod aster I listen to has mentioned it. I really don't want a work around for the problem, I jwant the problem fixed. Is there any email address that I can send a message to at Apple where someone actually reads and works on problems such as this?

Sent from a 2nd gen iPad mini running iOS 8.4b3

Jul 6, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Burgleklutt

I have had this problem over 3 months now, spoke with 3 agents at apple and went to the genius bar. They ran diagnostic as well came up perfect. They literally gave me a new phone because they couldn't figure out what was wrong....started a new phone and the problem just occurred again when I installed the backup. I believe the issue is that the backup is corrupt. Its the only thing that makes sense. IOS 8.4 just came out and has no fix for this either. This seems to be a major issue since I seen this on more then 1 forum. I really wish there was an easier fix then to just start the phone from scratch like you probably have to. If anyone hears anything further let me know. I still have the issue.

Jul 16, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Burgleklutt

This problem exists on 2 phones in my house. (Both iPhone 6) If we open an old message or delete any messages the entire message app freezes and the phone has to be restarted. After the restart, all messages are back. Chatted with Apple and made a trip to the genius bar. We also received a new phone. I was surprised and frustrated when they sent me on my merry way without a solution.

There has to be some fix to this problem.

Can't delete individual messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.