Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 not charging via USB to PC

Ok, so I'm having an issue with my iPhone 6 charging via the USB to Lightning cable to my PC. I never had an issue with my 5s and the weird part is, it'll charge to about 75% and then keep going down again. I'm not sure what's happening. Also, the phone keeps restarting itself as well.

The phone is charging via the lightning port plugged into the outlet, but still getting the issue of the phone randomly restarting. HELP! I just got this phone!

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 11:13 AM

Try rebooting your phone. Press and hold BOTH the power and home buttons at the SAME time, until the Apple Logo appears, then let go of both buttons and your iPhone will restart. This often cures odd issues. If it doesn't, you may have an issue that should be checked at Genius Bar at your Apple Store.

13 replies

Oct 18, 2014 3:29 PM in response to r.dunlap

my iphone 6 purchased in US was not charging and I took to apple store in mexico. the technician put a flash light into the charging area and identified something similar to brown glue and he simply scraped it out with a paper clip and vua-la problem over. wouldn't even accept a tip. looks like there was a slight factory mishap. problem solved and didn't need to take it back to US for warranty work. hope this helps

Mar 1, 2015 9:39 AM in response to r.dunlap

My new iPhone 6 is doing something similar. It does charge, but at such a slow rate it looks like it actually isn't. Maybe it takes more current than the USB ports (3.0) can supply.

Right now I am playing music through the Bluetooth to a headset and the charge is actually going down while plugged in.

Currently running 8.1.3 on an All-in-one system, which is basically a laptop. I have tried on a desktop system and the same thing occurs.

It does charge normally using the same cable and the electrical outlet transformer.

Mar 1, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Saltgrass

Saltgrass wrote:

My new iPhone 6 is doing something similar. It does charge, but at such a slow rate it looks like it actually isn't. Maybe it takes more current than the USB ports (3.0) can supply.

Right now I am playing music through the Bluetooth to a headset and the charge is actually going down while plugged in.

Currently running 8.1.3 on an All-in-one system, which is basically a laptop. I have tried on a desktop system and the same thing occurs.

It does charge normally using the same cable and the electrical outlet transformer.

Not all USB ports are equal. There's USB 1, 2 and 3. USB 1 and 2 will charge slower than USB 3. What you've described is more indicative that your USB ports are lower power and does not necessarily indicate you have an issue with your iPhone.

Mar 1, 2015 10:36 AM in response to lobsterghost1

That is why I indicated I was using USB 3.0 ports.

I turned off the WiFi on the phone while I was still playing the music and the charge went up one percent after about 15 minutes. With the WiFi on the charge was staying the same and even decreasing.

The next thing I am going to do is time how long the charge takes to increase 1 percent on the computer vs. the wall outlet. My iPhone 5 may have charged slower on the computer than the wall outlet, but it still showed a reasonable charging rate.

Mar 1, 2015 12:37 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I just posted an edit to my prior post, but it has not yet shown up.

Just in case, using USB 3.0, with Bluetooth and Wifi turned off, the phone was charging 1% every 15 minutes. When plugged into the wall adapter, it went from 65% to 89% in 30 minutes. The slow charge while plugged in may account for folks thinking it was not actually charging.

The phone may be designed to limit current when charging because of laptops and batteries being involved. My system does not fit in that group, but if my findings are accurate, I would say using the computer to charge would be an overnight operation only if it was set up to charge while asleep. Having it plugged into the computer while using should maintain the current charge but not much more.

If you see something different, please advise.

Aug 3, 2015 4:33 PM in response to zoldhuszar

zoldhuszar wrote:

Does Apple monitor these boards and ever supply answers?

I cannot find any solution to this problem.

No, Apple does not monitor the boards, that is indicated in the TOS you agreed to in the beginning.

Since there are a number of solutions posted here in this thread, one needs to ask what it is that you have tried, and what happens. The term "I cannot find any solution to this problem", when you don't even describe the problem, expecting use to assume it is exactly as "which" poster?

iPhone 6 not charging via USB to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.