Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leave conversation option unavailable

I was sent a group message from a unknown number and there are 10 other strangers in the message. I want to leave it but I can't. I have a new iPhone 6 so it has iOS 8 but the leave conversation option isn't there? Some people have the option greyed out but the button isn't there at all..

Why can't I leave and how can I fix this?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 1:52 PM

17 replies

Sep 27, 2014 6:25 PM in response to cchau13

Hi cchau13,

Unfortunately there's no option to leave a group message. However you can turn on Do not Disturb in that conversation so you won't receive any messages or notifications from the group. To do this, please do the following:

1. Open the group
  2. At the top right select Details
  3. Turn Do not Disturb On

Hope this helps! Don't hesitate to continue asking questions, 🙂

Sep 24, 2015 8:54 PM in response to RobinCali

This *****! I hate that I don't have the option either,muting them doesn't help because my phone still blows up. Love my apple products but I think they could do better on this one...who cares what everyone in the group text is texting from...I have to be punished with massive group text because they have androids or don't update their operating system? Boo, thumbs down on this one Apple!

Nov 1, 2015 1:50 PM in response to RobinCali

This is obviously false since the user showed another member of the same conversation has the option available. I am in the same situation. I do not have the option on my phone, but my wife's phone does for the same group of recipients. We are both using the latest iOS version.

Update: restarted my phone then compared my messaging settings to my wife's phone where the option is available. I saw she didn't have MMS messages enabled so I disabled mine. Then I checked for the Leave Covo option and it was there. I turned MMS back on and the option's still there. so it might have been restarting my phone alone that fixed it. It is now appearing on an iMessage convo. I still don't have the option on an MMS convo with (with non iMessage recipients) which it sounds like is by design.

May 27, 2016 10:37 AM in response to cchau13

You guys wanna hear some serious BS?

Well, my original theory was that a bunch of people in the group chat didn't have an iPhone. Which is terrible you wouldn't be able to leave bc of this. Still, whether this is the reason or it's because iPhone users do not have the latest software, it still *****. I also have an Apple Watch. So, now, not only can I not leave an annoying group chat, I also am stuck with receiving a million notifications on my wrist!! this is how I found this thread, because if youre in a group chat, and it's on DND, you still receive it on the watch!!

Leave conversation option unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.