Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several computers cannot recognize my 5s - cannot sync anything from iTunes

iPhone 5s with iOS 8.0

2009 Macbook Pro with OSX 10.9.5

2013 Acer with Windows 8

iTunes 11.4

I have been using a Mophie charging case for months (uses an android-style charger), so I haven't needed to use the original lightning charger in a while. I wanted to transfer my music over today so I bought a new one at Best Buy - I purchased the Apple "Lightning to USB Cable (1m)". Whenever I try to connect my iPhone to either of my computers, nothing happens. They do not recognize the device and won't even charge it from the USB port. The USB cable works just fine when plugged into the wall charger port. My USB ports work fine, and will even charge my old iPod nano with the old 30-pin charger. They also recognize any other device besides my 5s.

When I try and select "Devices" from the iTunes file menu, nothing even shows up. It's like my iPhone isn't even connected.

I have already run through the entire list on this website, to no avail. iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

So my computer's USB ports are not the problem. I have restarted both my iPhone and my computers multiple times, to no avail.

Could this be a software issue with iOS 8? A hardware issue? I tried a Walmart-brand lightning cable as well, and that didn't work either.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 2:52 PM

7 replies

Sep 24, 2014 2:56 PM in response to ajubert

Have you tried all of the ports on the computer? If none of them are working, and the information in the support document did not help, then you need to try a reinstall of iTunes. Take the information from this support document to remove all of the iTunes content in the correct order and then reinstall. Make sure the phone is not plugged into the computer when you do this. Once you have removed and reinstalled iTunes, connect the phone. Windows should recognize it and then load the correct driver. Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Sep 24, 2014 3:09 PM in response to ajubert

I wouldn't. Why aren't you using the Mac with iTunes to handle this? If it is not recognized in OS X, then you have the incorrect support documents. There is one for the iPhone not being recognized in OS X as well as iTunes. With the Mac, you can reinstall, you just don't have to remove it first. If you want the phone recognized by the Mac so you can do the music sync, then you need to fix that connection.

Sep 24, 2014 3:18 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I am using the Mac with iTunes to handle this. I'm sorry if my wording was poor in my original post. Thank you for helping me with this, it's just been frustrating as I've spent about 4 hours trying to figure out this problem.

So you are saying that my iPhone 5s has the incorrect support documents? Would this be a proper troubleshooting guide? Mac OS X v10.6: iOS device not recognized in iTunes after restart

Thank you again for your help, Chris.

Sep 24, 2014 3:37 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Oh I see, I must have copy/pasted the wrong one. I have quite a few tabs open right now.

I reinstalled iTunes and that did not help. I have gone through all steps on that support document you just posted.

Something interesting - I unplugged my iPhone and turned it off. I then plugged it into my Macbook - the apple logo came up and my phone started up. But then when my phone got to the lock screen, it did not recognize the device and still won't charge it. So it's like my phone "knows" that the computer is there, but there's something on my phone that will not let it connect. Could it be a problem with iOS 8?

Several computers cannot recognize my 5s - cannot sync anything from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.