Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can late 2011 17-inch MacBook Pro drive an LG 34UM95-P

The LG 34UM95-P is a 34" monitor with 2 Thurnderbolt ports. Can my late 2011 17-inch MacBook Pro drive it at full 3440X1440 resolution when connected by Thunderbolt? Apple's specification for the maximum resolution of an external monitor seems to indicate "no", but there are reports on other forums that using a Thunderbolt connection makes a difference.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 2:48 PM

3 replies

Jan 10, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Richard Liu

after lots of of searching and uncertainty i can now confirm that although the MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 model I have doesnt work with a true thunderbolt cable, it DOES work at full 3440 x 1440 resolution through a mini displayport to standard display port cable. It plugs into the thunderbolt / dp port on the mac. I bought the cable off eBay and it carries the audio signal to the monitor too. Brilliant. this was a surprise as the video card doesn't say it supports such a high resolution. V. Happy with the monitor. Im running maverick or Yosemite (can't recall - l'll check when I get home.)

Sep 4, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Richard Liu

My MacBook 17 (Early 2011; which i don´t have anymore) drove this Monitor (which i still have) like a champ.

with a DeLock 2m Thunderbolt Cable ...

It also did drive the internal 17" display, the LG 34UM95-P (TB2)

*and* the Apple Thunderbolt (1) 27" Display all at the same

time with a Thunderbolt Cable.. (got a picture to prove it :-))

Even the MacBook 12 Retina can drive the 34UM95-P at full res./full 60Mhz via a Display1.2 Cable from Monoprice.

(with the Apple HDMI Combo (USB/USB-C) Adapter it only runs at 50Mhz/full res. of 3440 x 1440).

so the statement that it does not work with TB is simply not true....

sjh

Sep 4, 2015 5:54 AM in response to Jamie M

hi there Jamie,

the 17" MBPs had 2 different graphics chips. one was part of the CPU (like in the MB12 today) and a dedicated one which could be automatically switched to. With extra (3rd party) SW you could switch manually. So whenever the onboad-graphics is active the 34" Screen would not work, but normally it does without trouble because the Thunderbolt 1 Chip onboard (even the 1st gen. TB 17", the early 2011 model) could drive 2 Apple Thunderbolt Displays daisychained in a row .. (see my other post)

thx

sjh

Can late 2011 17-inch MacBook Pro drive an LG 34UM95-P

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.