Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari downloads PDF files instead of displaying them.

I am running Safari 7.0.6 on OSX 10.9.5, on a late 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch retina

When I click on a PDF file, Safari downloads it automatically instead of displaying it on a new tab, as it used to. I can't remember when it started, but before it had started opening files with Adobe Reader on a new tab instead of doing it with Preview.

It's getting extremely annoying since I have to examine multiple PDF files every single day, very often mislabeled, which causes me to download the same file multiple times in some cases...

Note: I might have deleted some internet plugins a long time ago trying to disable Adobe Reader when it replaced Preview on Safari. So I wonder if there is a stock Preview internet plugin that I might have removed this way...

I would really appreciate if someone knew how to help me.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 2:57 PM

10 replies

Sep 24, 2014 5:37 PM in response to Linc Davis

From those you listed, I only have Quicktime. Aside from this one, I have

Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 11.0.09

Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 11.0.09 — from file “AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin”.
MIME TypeDescriptionExtensions
application/pdfAcrobat Portable Document Formatpdf
application/vnd.adobe.pdfAcrobat Portable Document Format (Interim)pdf
application/vnd.adobe.pdfxmlAcrobat XML Portable Document Formatpdfxml
application/vnd.adobe.x-marsAcrobat XML Portable Document Format (Interim)mars
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xmlXML Data Packagexdp
application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xmlFormFlow99 Data Filexfd
application/vnd.adobe.xfdfAcrobat Forms Data Format in XMLxfdf
application/vnd.fdfAcrobat Forms Data Formatfdf

SharePoint Browser Plug-in

Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in — from file “SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin”.
application/x-sharepointMicrosoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in

Silverlight Plug-In

5.1.20913.0 — from file “Silverlight.plugin”.
application/x-silverlightMicrosoft Silverlightxaml
application/x-silverlight-2Microsoft Silverlightxaml

Unity Player

Unity Web Player version 4.5.2f1. (c) 2013 Unity Technologies ApS. All rights reserved. — from file “Unity Web Player.plugin”.
application/vnd.unityUnity Playerunity3d

Sep 24, 2014 5:40 PM in response to bouboule_96

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it, the copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

From the folder that opens, move to the Trash any items that have "Adobe" or “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari.

Sep 24, 2014 5:56 PM in response to bouboule_96

Back up all data before proceeding.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

defaults delete -app Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Quit Safari. Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered. You can then quit Terminal. Test.

Safari downloads PDF files instead of displaying them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.