Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8 update failed on my iPad2, now stuck in recovery mode

Hi there

I am in a bit of a pickle! This is what happened:

1. Plugged my iPad2 into iTunes, downloaded iOS8 and it began to install;

2. iTunes downloaded the software and began to update iPad;

3. Device showed Apple Logo and progress bar BUT then update failed. iTunes informed me it failed, clicked OK. iPad stuck and did not recover;

4. Did a hard reset;

5. iPad showed Red iTunes logo and said to connect to iTunes;

6. Connected to iTunes which stated: iPad Recovery Mode, If you are experiencing problems with your iPad, you can restore to original settings by clicking Restore iPad

7. Clicked restore iPad - warnings about losing data etc...

8. iTune redownloaded iOS8,

9. After downloading iTunes went back to the iPad Recovery Mode screen,

10. iTunes redownloaded iOS8

11. goes into an infinite loop back to point 6 and round and round we go.....

If I leave the iPad it exits recovery mode and tries to restart - but black screen after apple logo.......

Going back into recovery mode - it does the same again.... no joy...

I'm really stuck - thankfully have a backup, but does anyone have any suggestions?????????

Thankyou!

PS - iTunes, and OS Mavericks is fully up to date...

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 3:19 PM

31 replies

Jan 8, 2017 12:58 AM in response to Songwoods

Hi!

I downloaded iOS10 via a Wi-Fi network earlier today, and I've been waiting to install it until recently. However, I was having a couple errors when I tried installing it, so I turned it off and back on again, and it started installing just fine.

However, after a while, the iPhone 6S went into recovery mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808) and I attempted to restore it on iTunes 12.1. The problem is that when the "iPhone Software Update" file finishes downloading, iTunes gives me the notification that my "iPhone is in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." all over again.

I've repeated this process three times now. If anyone could give any assistance it'd be most helpful.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2014 6:24 AM in response to Janijohn

IS THIS HOW YOU DO THE RECOVERY MODE?

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTunes (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port.

DO NOT RELEASE BUTTON until you see picture of iTunes and plug

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTunes has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note:

1. Data will be lost if you do not have backup

2. You must follow step 1 to step 4 VERY CLOSELY.

3. Repeat the process if necessary.

Nov 15, 2014 8:05 PM in response to mama.yeen

mama.yeen wrote:

been trying like 100s times already.. no luck… most far it goes up to restoring ipad firmware then freeze or end up with error that suggesting to update itunes bla bla… so sad..

It's not possible to revert to a previous system. You're failing and it won't work, because it's not possible.

If you want to give your operating system a fresh start, here's how to do it ... reset to factory default ...

Follow this procedure for a Troubleshooting Methodology ... basically reset to factory default condition -BUT- be sure to do the following methodically and also to follow the part with Apple Support!

First you want to make sure you have several backups of your data and done with a couple of "different" sources. Be sure to understand what data is backed up and what is NOT on iCloud Backup and iTunes Backup. Use a variety of methods for backup ... you might check into Dropbox, in addition to your Apple options.

Then turn off your desktop anti-virus software when using iTunes for this reset to factory default. After you do that reset, then leave your iPad in its factory default state and see how it operates then. If you encounter any problems in that factory default state, then take it to Apple Support, and let them know that you have just reset it to that state with iTunes and have not put any of your data back on and it is operating in this fashion (whatever the problem is) in that pristine state. Make sure you keep that trouble ticket number, because if it has to be escalated through Apple Support, you're going to find all communications tied in with that number. If the lower level help isn't able to help you, then escalate it to a higher level to examine the problem. Keep at it with that trouble ticket number until Apple Support arrives at a solution to that problem. Be methodical and keep at it.

On the other hand, if everything is okay with the factory default condition, then restore your backup. Some people have discovered that the problem resides in the apps or something in the restored backup. If that's the case, then it's going to be trying and difficult to find out which developer's app is causing you the problem. And ... it's true ... that a developer not following Apple's instructions and guidelines for his app can CAUSE YOU TROUBLE. This kind of thing does happen from developers, especially when a new system upgrade comes out, because some developers ignore what Apple tells them about changes coming, and what they do BREAKS SOMETHING.

This is a troubleshooting methodology that you are going through. See it through to the end.

Choosing an iOS Backup Method (Should I Use iTunes or iCloud to back up ...)

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

Back up and Restore your iOS Device with iCloud or iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

iTunes: About iOS Backups

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

Create and Delete iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Backups in iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946

iOS: Troubleshooting Encrypted Backups

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5162

Use iTunes to Restore your iOS Device to Factory Settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Nov 15, 2014 8:45 PM in response to mama.yeen

mama.yeen wrote:

thanks for your advice.. i did backup on itunes before proceed to upgrade last week, upgrading stuck in restoring ipad firmware. restoring also stuck there. the ipad is on recovery mode (with logo connect to red itunes)

If that's what you're getting, you'll have to do that recovery mode then.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

what is jailbreak? should i go for that?

""Jailbreak" is something that is not allowed by Apple Support, or else you'll void your warranty, and if you don't have a warranty any longer, you won't get any help from Apple if you turn your device into a useless "brick". And, we're not allowed to discuss how to do things that are not supported by Apple.

If you value your security on your iOS device, then a jailbreak is not what you want to do, because you're stripping away your Apple security measures when you "hack into your own device." I guess it's up to people if they want to destroy their own property, but don't expect anyone here to help you out of a problem here.

Nov 16, 2014 4:02 AM in response to mama.yeen

mama.yeen wrote:

that's gonna be my last choice.. it's like a dead machine any way.... useless with either apple or itunes logo… argh!

Since you you were attempting that procedure that couldn't't be done, that probably messed things up even further. What iPad model do you have and what is the current symptom you have ... namely what is the specific condition of your iPad right now?

Dec 2, 2014 3:11 AM in response to Janijohn

hey

please could anyone from App Support tell us

whats going ON???!!! i have IPAD 2,2 firmware

i can't use my IPAD 2 anymore

since June/2014 my story begin with updating from IOS 6 to 7 same steps was done after a few weeks IOS8 was released and tried same story while my ipad was stuck with IOS 7 ..... same thing happened again Stuck On itunes logo while (restoring firmware) but "this time Itunes logo was RED" 🙂

i did everything and nothing happened ...... No WAY

all common problems i already knew it

coz i am very expert in OS and App

i have done Hundred of updates, upgrades and integrate.

but this is my first time i face this issue with my Apple device.

i spent like 12 hours per week just trying to figure out ...... what is wrong with my ipad ? or with firmware ???

but later on after i searched I found you guys hhhh having the same problem.

and a lot of people are having the same problem.

So, i just release The Problem is not with US or Even with OUR IPADs'

its just from Apple Firmware ...... we need someone from Support Admin to tell us what Should we do for NOW ,, we couldn't Wait anymore

Dec 4, 2014 6:40 AM in response to Joseph1989

I too am having the same issue my screen goes black and when in iTunes it just keeps saying iTunes has detected an ipad in recovery mode you ust restore this ipad before it can be used with iTunes I have done this process a million times since I updated this last week I should not have done it now I am paying the price and there seems to be no resolve can anyone help please.

iOS8 update failed on my iPad2, now stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.