Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook USB port broken. Need to backup through Windows PC.

Since my situation is a bit complicated I will be starting off with some background information:

I currently own a MacBook Pro 15inch (mid 2010) 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB (running OS X 10.8.5)

My USB ports haven't worked in 2 years (I assume that i must of over powered them) however, when I insert my USB powered speakers into one of the two USB ports it powers them, and with the use of an AUX I am able to transmit the sound BUT my MacBook is still not able to recognize any other USB or external hard drive device. Still not sure why only my speakers receive power through the technically broken USB ports so if anyone can offer any insight on this, that would be great.

Moving on to the main problem:

So I want to format and reinstall the software on my MacBook BUT FIRST I need to backup. Since my USB ports wont work I've tried to find other solutions. (Don't want to buy an AirPort Time Capsule).

I've tried the Belkin Network USB Hub but since it's software only supports up to OS X 10.5 It would not work on my device.

I have FINALLY found a convenient and cheap solution by setting up File sharing network (from my Mac to my old Vista, PC) and purchased My Passport Ultra.

The plan is to send my files to the PC and from there to save them onto the external hard drive (and then send them back to my Mac). Sounds easy HOWEVER, after some research I've noticed that in order to get My Passport to work with Mac and PC you have to reformat it (not sure if you have to format on both platforms in order to be able to use on both as well), so I have the following questions:

1. Since My Passport wont connect to my Mac is there anyway of formatting the external hard drive through Windows and still be able to use with Mac? (if not I can always format the external hard drive on a friends Mac)

2. I won't need to open the files on Windows, the PC is simply a gateway in order for me to get the files onto a hard drive, so do I still need to format it to work on Windows? Will the files still be usable when sent back to the Mac?

I have tried to explain my situation as simply as possible but if anyone has any questions or is unsure of something I have mentioned please ask. I want to avoid buying anymore devices in order to do this, so any solutions in which I can use what I have would be much appreciated. I cannot go to an Apple store as I no longer live in the UK and we do not have an Apple store here.

If anyone knows of another way to get the files on to My Passport (other than what I'm trying to do) I am open to discussion. Thanks in advance 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), My Passport Ultra

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 4:04 PM

6 replies

MacBook USB port broken. Need to backup through Windows PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.