Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade problematic SMC firmware 1.7 on 2011 MacBook Pro before OS X upgrade?

I'll soon be installing OS X Mountain Lion on a 15" early-2011 MacBook Pro (8,2) currently running Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8). Should I upgrade its SMC firmware to the problematic v1.7 (which had number of battery-related or system-power problems reported about it in early 2013, if not since then) before the OS upgrade? (This firmware update was put out to users to "address a rare issue on some Apple notebooks where a battery that has accumulated more than 1000 charge cycles may unexpectedly shut down or stop functioning”; my Mac's battery has gone through just 352 cycles.)

Apple's EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs table says my Mac should have 1.69f4 (SMC 1.7), but that table as recently as mid-April this year listed instead 1.69f3 (SMC 1.5) as what my Mac should have (and that's the version it does have); and the current download page for that firmware, MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7 (though dated Dec 12, 2012) says it requires OS X 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 - Lion or Mountain Lion.

I seem to remember that SMC firmware version disappearing from my Mac's Software Update listings, some while after I'd kept putting off choosing to install it because of the problems I'd read about it (including at least one reporting nightmarish troubles on same machine as mine) and because it didn't seem critical at my stage of battery life. Given the apparent ambiguity about which SMC firmware my Mac should or can have, and ensuing unwanted troubles after installation reported by at least a few folks, can I confidently install Mountain Lion without that SMC version, and then try to install it afterward?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), spring 2011 MBP model

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 5:26 PM

There are no replies.

Upgrade problematic SMC firmware 1.7 on 2011 MacBook Pro before OS X upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.