Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod touch 5th generation data lost after downgrade from ios 8 to ios 7.1.2

I have just downgraded my iPod touch 5th generation from ios 8 to ios 7.1.2 . after downgrading, all my data (apps, music, document) in the iPod touch were lost, but photos were manage to recover. when I connect to the computer, it show that others in the capacity column used up almost 18 GB of memory. What is in others? Why it used up so much memory? How can I recover my lost data?

iPod touch, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 5:02 PM

3 replies

Sep 25, 2014 1:33 AM in response to Ellliephant

You may not be able to restore the data since when you downgrade from a backup made with a new iOS version data does not transfer.

An "other" larger than about 1 1/2 GB indicates corrupted files.

What is the Other on my iPhone and How to Remove It

What is "Other" and What Can I Do About It?

Next, usually restoring from backup eliminated the corrupted files. However, sometimes restoring to factory settings/new iPod is required.

To restore from backup see:

iOS: How to back up

To restore to factory settings/new iPod see:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

Sep 25, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Ellliephant

Exact same thing happened to my iPhone 5s. Now even if I restore from an older backup, I still do not get my apps and locally stored documents back. All I get is photos. Had to do a factory reset to free up the space occupied by the corrupt files, and redownload all my apps. Learned my lesson will be saving everything online from now on (in 3rd party cloud storage) because apparently, even iTunes backups on my own computer are not a guarantee.

Unless Apple comes up with a miracle (and they need one), I won't be upgrading to another iPhone, thanks!

My iPod touch 5th generation data lost after downgrade from ios 8 to ios 7.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.