Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV ethernet sleep mode and airplay

Hi,

With the new upgrade I've noticed something about airplay on my ethernet ATV. I have two ATV one wired the other wireless. I can always see the wireless ATV on airplay even when it's in sleep mode. However I cannot see the wired ATV if it's in sleep mode. It works fine once I wake it up. I could always see both ATVs even if they were in sleep mode.

Is anyone else having this problem or know a fix for it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 5:24 PM

Is your ATV a 3rd gen? Is it running the latest ATV software (v7.0)? I have 3 wired ethernet ATV 3rd gens and with the latest update, it broke all 3 ATV's from waking up from sleep via AirPlay. I downgraded to the previous version (6.2) using the restore feature in iTunes, and set them up again (and turned off auto-update). With the previous ATV software, everything works. Apple's software update is broken.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2014 5:24 PM in response to MacHunt

Is your ATV a 3rd gen? Is it running the latest ATV software (v7.0)? I have 3 wired ethernet ATV 3rd gens and with the latest update, it broke all 3 ATV's from waking up from sleep via AirPlay. I downgraded to the previous version (6.2) using the restore feature in iTunes, and set them up again (and turned off auto-update). With the previous ATV software, everything works. Apple's software update is broken.

Sep 25, 2014 2:21 AM in response to MacHunt

Same problem here with 3rd gen ATV. Does not "wake-on-lan" anymore (not from iPad2, iTunes (11.4), iPhone 4s (ios7), iPhone 5s (ios7)). Although it is not possible to downgrade anymore with iTunes 11.4.

Actually iTunes 11.4 (on iMac / Maverick) doesn't even detect ATV 3rd gen with 7.0 (6897.5) software anymore.

2nd gen ATV with 6.x detects just fine both in iTunes and Airplay -devices.

Airplay works fine but you have to start ATV manually with its own remote.

Just tried with PC and iTunes 11.1.5.5 also. It seems that ATV's USB-port has been disabled totally in this new software 7.0.

Sep 25, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Huppe

Try a different micro-USB cable. I had an issue using my Sony micro-USB cable, but then I tried out a spare from a different smart phone and I was able to get my Apple TV 3rd gen in recovery mode. I restored using iTunes 11.4 without an issue too (Windows 7) and my MacBook 13-inch late 2010 (iTunes 11.3.1),

So it seems wireless, wake from sleep works? So this bug is only affecting wired Ethernet connected ATV's?

Sep 27, 2014 10:26 AM in response to MacHunt

For some unknown reason, my livingroom ATV3 automatically updated, even though I made sure to turn OFF updates. This happened twice already. And this morning, it seems Apple is no longer signing the restore firmware for ATV3 v6.2 anymore and I cannot restore the device to the previous firmware. This livingroom unit is now STUCK on ATV 7.0 with the broken ethernet/airplay/wake. Luckily the two other ATV3's aren't updating.

I might have to connect this to Wifi temporarily 😟

***Apple, you need to FIX THIS!!!*** I know you have your iPhone iOS 8.0.x issues, but don't leave the ATV customers hanging.

Apple TV ethernet sleep mode and airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.