Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6, ios 8 Music sync problem

So I just got my iphone and was able to sync everything EXCEPT music. My music plays in itunes but once I move them to the iphone playlist (On this iphone tab), they become grey with dashed circle and cannot be synced on to my iphone. I have been searching for a solution for 12 hours without any success. I have never had this problem with any of my other iPhones. Please Help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 12:20 AM

15 replies

Sep 27, 2014 6:18 AM in response to reagantang

I found this on the web, worked perfectly for music and tv shows:

Many users have reported this problem with syncing music on iOS 8. The following steps can be taken to Sync the music back onto your iPhone.

• Uncheck “sync music” in iTunes

• On phone, Delete all Music (General > Usage > Manage Storage)

• Re-check “sync music”

• Sync

Oct 4, 2014 7:58 AM in response to reagantang

Same issue on my end. I have followed the above steps and have gone as far to restore the phone - multiple times including setting up as a new phone. AS soon as I synch with iTunes, the music appears but is greyes out like it is still downloading. In my case, music purchased through iTunes has no issue synching. Anything I have uploaded from CD is suspect. I also notice that, at random, a song will play half way through and then skip to the next song. That's minor but the issue with synching is a problem and having to resynch music each time I connect to iTunes is not an acceptable approach. Any fixes around this yet?

Oct 12, 2014 7:33 PM in response to shawnfromnorwood

I had the same problem - it scrolls through the songs in a playlist , and them does not play anything, or plays one random song, and also seems to delete the songs. I called applecare and even took it to the Apple store . I did several restores, and was finally able to find a work-around by Syncing over WiFi and not using the cable at all . The music then seemed to work fine, but THEN, when anyone called me , the number came up as "UNKNOWN" even though all my contacts were clearly there .

Apple offered to give me a new phone, but since I spent over 16 hours already, on this thing, I decided to just return it to VERIZON , since I was still within the 2 week window. I will wait for Apple to come out with the new generation phones in a few months, and then maybe try again .

I have never had this kind of headache with previous apple products.

I sold my APPLE stock the same day I returned my phone . It was a sad , sad day.

Oct 28, 2014 4:06 AM in response to mao2004

I am having a similar issue. Since upgrading to iOS 8.1 on my iPhone5, it hangs on syncing and never finishes, even though the phone no longer shows the syncing circular arrows icon. Because of this, I cannot make any changes to photos or music or notes as they can only be changed after the sync is finished (which it never is). This is super frustrating!

😠

Nov 6, 2014 6:34 PM in response to reagantang

Step 1. Tap Settings > Music > scroll down the window, swipe off 'Show All Music' and 'iTunes Match'.

Step 2. Update your iTunes to the latest iTunes 12. You can download the installation package directly from Apple http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Stesp 3. Connect your iPhone with your computer and launch iTunes. Try to check 1 song and perform the syncing. Check on your iPhone whether the songs you've synced is there or not. If it is there, then you can try to sync multiple songs from your iTunes library to your iPhone.

Dec 17, 2014 7:52 AM in response to reagantang

I have had the same problem since I installed iOS8, which I consider to be more of a virus than an update. With each successive iOS8 update, the problem has got worse and much time has been spent on the phone to Apple who conclude, after an hour or so of pointless things to try, that I have to completely restore the phone which wastes even more time. I have never had this problem prior to iOS8 and despite seeing many posts about this online, am told by Apple that I am the "only person" who has had this problem.

Since successive updates, I often have the "other" bar saying it's filling up the phone's capacity with over 40GB. This is only remedied when I completely restore the phone. I have had to do this three times in the last week alone and none of the solutions I have seen for it work and if they do are only temporary.

Synching has now become a gamble, it could go well or my music library could get screwed up meaning I have to spend hours doing a restore and re-adding over 8000 songs. Apple have really shot themselves in the foot with iOS8. It has been unleashed to the public without proper testing and as a result no one at Apple knows what to do when confronted with these problems. I used to trust Apple. I don't now.

Feb 13, 2015 6:56 AM in response to reagantang

What an absolute joke and disgrace. Forcing us to access our music from iCloud if we want to listen to it on our phones especially considering here in australia we have to pay up to $100 a month to get 4gb of mobile internet data.

My other issue is as a photographer, I am often in remote parts of the country on assignment where there is NO MOBILE COVERAGE. Spending hours at a time waiting to get my photos, my music is my only company and if there is no mobile coverage then that means no internet coverage.

I stopped using Windows computers because Microsoft FORCED us to use their software THEIR way.

Now Apple are doing the same. I have tried every way possible to solve this bloody issue and I still dont have ANY of my 4000 on my phone. I may as well stop using Apple products and go back to Windows and a google phone. At least they work.

APPLE, listen to your customers and fix the issue and stop telling us how we have to live our lives.

I can no longer see any reason to buy music from itunes and do the right thing anymore when the company wont let me have my music on my phone/

I am now looking for a 3rd party program to get my songs on my iPhone6.

Aug 5, 2015 11:21 AM in response to harneyphoto

I ditto your summary! I was one the many "braggers" of the Apple system...loved my iPads...iMac...iPhone...iPod...Macbook...but this new upgrade has me almost in tears. Prior to the new upgrade to Yosemite, things were wonderful in my Mac World...now it's a nightmare! It's causing me more work...I do a lot of photo projects using Powerpoint and with a click of "copy" in my iPhoto gallery and the "paste" into my Powerpoint project, it was fast and easy! Now...it's cumbersome because I'm told via the Apple wizards that Powerpoint has to do some changes for me to be able to copy and paste. I spent A LOT OF $ to get the BEST (I thought & had for a couple of years) but now...I'm so disappointed I could cry!

Steve Jobs...please speak from the grave!!!!! Help your organization CARE for the customer! Seriously, I know only God can help motivate the Apple Crew of designers and workers to help us loyal customers out here...I've tried a zillion ways to get my iPhone 6 Notes to sync to my iMac and I've been unsuccessful - even after reading ALL the forums thus far...so sad! I really don't know what to do next!

iPhone 6, ios 8 Music sync problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.