Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ringtone didn't transfer to iPhone 6

I created a ringtone years ago. When I restored all the data from my iPhone 4 to my new iPhone 6 the ringtone and others like it did not restore. The ringtones are in iTunes but although I've tried every way I know to import them as ringtones into the new phone they never show up anywhere. As always Apple HELP is helpless. Could some good samaritan help me with this silly problem?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), October 2013, 27", 32 MB RAM

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 8:54 AM

Unfortunately you have to convert Mp3 to M4r to work now. Spent 2 hours to figure this out.

See below !!!

________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________

Apple® iTunes® can also be used to convert an MP3 to M4R but the process is a little involved and the directions might be slightly different depending on the version. In general, the imported MP3 must be first converted to the AAC format (which is essentially the same as M4P), then manually renamed from an MP4 to an M4R file.

To use iTunes® to convert an MP3 files to M4R, add the MP3 file to your iTunes® Library. Right-click on the file once more, and choose "Create ACC version" from the popup menu. (This will only appear if you select under iTunes Preferences > General > Import Settings > Import Using AAC Encoder

on a MAC:

Now navigate to the folder where iTunes® has saved this file (or Right Click and Show in Finder ). It should have created 3-4 different versions there.. Mp3, m4a and M4r. Select the M4r version and drag over to TONES in iTunes...now sync your phone with iTunes

On a PC

Now navigate to the folder where iTunes® has saved this file (or Right Click and Show in Finder ). Use the computer’s Search feature to find the file name, or look in the default Music folder, then inside the iTunes® folder. Scroll down until you find the saved file, which will be an M4A file.

Drag the file to the Desktop (a copy will be generated), then go into iTunes® and delete the original file. The Desktop copy will remain.

Return to the Desktop and rename the ringtone file with an M4R extension. If you cannot see file extensions, go to Folder Options (via Control Panel) and under the View tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and try again. Once the file has been successfully renamed, click on it and iTunes® will import it into the Ringtones folder. Synch your iPhone® to upload the ringer.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2014 8:54 AM in response to Peter Best1

Unfortunately you have to convert Mp3 to M4r to work now. Spent 2 hours to figure this out.

See below !!!

________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________

Apple® iTunes® can also be used to convert an MP3 to M4R but the process is a little involved and the directions might be slightly different depending on the version. In general, the imported MP3 must be first converted to the AAC format (which is essentially the same as M4P), then manually renamed from an MP4 to an M4R file.

To use iTunes® to convert an MP3 files to M4R, add the MP3 file to your iTunes® Library. Right-click on the file once more, and choose "Create ACC version" from the popup menu. (This will only appear if you select under iTunes Preferences > General > Import Settings > Import Using AAC Encoder

on a MAC:

Now navigate to the folder where iTunes® has saved this file (or Right Click and Show in Finder ). It should have created 3-4 different versions there.. Mp3, m4a and M4r. Select the M4r version and drag over to TONES in iTunes...now sync your phone with iTunes

On a PC

Now navigate to the folder where iTunes® has saved this file (or Right Click and Show in Finder ). Use the computer’s Search feature to find the file name, or look in the default Music folder, then inside the iTunes® folder. Scroll down until you find the saved file, which will be an M4A file.

Drag the file to the Desktop (a copy will be generated), then go into iTunes® and delete the original file. The Desktop copy will remain.

Return to the Desktop and rename the ringtone file with an M4R extension. If you cannot see file extensions, go to Folder Options (via Control Panel) and under the View tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and try again. Once the file has been successfully renamed, click on it and iTunes® will import it into the Ringtones folder. Synch your iPhone® to upload the ringer.

Jul 7, 2015 7:37 PM in response to ohhenryca

I have a Macbook Air OS Yosimite 10.10.3 and want to transfer a customized ringtone (a clipped song) from my iphone 4 to my Macbook Air, in hopes that I can convert the ringtone to an M4R and transfer it to my new iphone 5.

I have followed the directions to sync my iphone to iTunes; however, the song only shows up in itunes when my iphone 4 is plugged in. When i plug in my iphone 5, the song is not saved in iTunes for me to convert and transfer it. When my iphone 4 is plugged in, I've tried dragging the song from iTunes to my desktop so I can convert it and it won't let me. There is no "save as" button to save the file to my Mac.

How the heck do I copy the ringtone to my computer? I have also tried to access the ringtone on my PC, but when I open my phone there I only get a DCIM folder with the photos on the phone. The ringtone does not show up.

I have also tried "Transfer purchases from iPhone" and it still does not show up. I have tried backing up my iTunes library and I still can't find the audio on my computer.

I have spent about 3 hours trying to figure this out and am appalled by the terse instructions left by commentators. "Sync the iphone 4 to itunes, then convert the file to an M4R, then upload the ringtone to your iphone 5".....Do you think if I knew how to do this I wouldn't be on here asking for instructions on how to do this? Please, give detailed steps and not summaries. I am computer literate, but these terse instructions are just ******* me off, because I spend more time googling how to do those and then I find out they don't even work.

Why can't I just drag the file from itunes to my desktop and have it copied that way? Or why isn't there a "save as" option to save it to the desktop?

Any detailed instructions about how I can save this ringtone to my Mac or PC would be much appreciated.

My ringtone didn't transfer to iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.