Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Family Sharing, Ask to Buy asks parent but not organizer

i set up family Sharing. I am the organizer, my wife is set up as a parent/guardian, my son (13) is set up as "Ask to Buy". When my son wants to install an App, he sends the permission request, but only my wife gets it. I (organizer) don't receive the request. What could be wrong in my settings? (btw, I do receive other notifications related to Family sharing).

Help is appreciated.

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 5:44 AM

14 replies

Oct 26, 2014 2:04 AM in response to OldMan100

Any luck? SSame issue here, and the notifications seem to vanish after a few seconds, so it's totally useless. I want my child to be able to send requests and me to be able to review what she has asked for before deciding. So not just the organiser / authoriser issue but also where do I find the notifications if they dong get auctioned right away? Very frustrating...

Jan 6, 2015 1:50 PM in response to OldMan100

Same here.. wife gets all the notifications about asking to buy from the kids but she's never near the phone. I get nothing so I cannot approve anything LOL!. Kids use ask to buy and run finding and reaching the phone to mother for approval before it gets lost! I'm having a blast with it but still very inconvenient. I just want to have the wife as a backup in case I'm busy enough at work/home to check and approve.

Please fix it!

Jan 8, 2015 6:10 AM in response to OldMan100

I found some other tread where the someone explains that the reason it does seem to work (which matches my case), is when you as organizer are using a different account for iCloud that the one you are using for purchases. In my case I have my gmail account as my organizer iCloud and my very old ISP provider email address as the one for purchases. Some day long ago I added my gmail as a recovery email and for that reason I could no later just change the email address on my old apple id account since it basically became an apple id by it self and that invalidates the email to be used as replacement. Long history short since I already set up my family group it seems the solution is to add my old apple id as part of the family also so we can all share and don't loose any purchases and then remove my cc from that account and add it to my new gmail iclod id so I use the same account for both iCloud and purchases. According to the explanation in that tread that should fix the issue and I should get notifications as well as my wife. I still have to try it but I'll be traveling for a few weeks and don't want to break anything while I'm away so I'll do it later.

Hope this helps someone else if you were still not aware of that.

Thanks all!

Jan 8, 2015 4:37 PM in response to caspas

Thanks for your reply and I hope it works for you. But I am using the same Apple ID both for iCloud login and purchases.

I read in some other forum that you should turn on "Family Notifications"; but I don't think there is such a thing. No specifics on how to do it and no positive replies after that suggestion. That didn't work either.

Will keep waiting for Apple's fix or until someone comes up with a solution.

Feb 14, 2015 10:12 PM in response to RArvidson

If you are having this same issue, is it possible that you did this:

Designate another approver (parent/guardian)

The organizer can also give another adult in the group permission to manage Ask to Buy requests. In iOS 8, tap Settings > iCloud > Family, tap your family member, then tap Parent/Guardian. In OS X Yosemite, choose Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud, select your family member, then select Parent/Guardian.

Only one adult needs to manage each purchase, and after it's done, the purchase is final.

Cheers,

GB

In Family Sharing, Ask to Buy asks parent but not organizer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.