Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your apple ID is now being used for iCloud on a new iPad mass deployment

Hello,

We are a ISD that is mass deploying iPads via Air Watch and MaaS. Upon updating a couple hundred to iOS 8 we are getting a notification that states: "Your Apple ID is now being used for iCloud on a new iPad." On every iPad setup before that. We use the same icloud account on every ipad for find my ipad. We had the same issue before with facetime and imessage but were able to start signing out of those on each iPad to stop that from happening. We cannot figure out how to get around this new notification and teachers and students are getting irritated that they need to hit OK about a hundred times before using a iPad.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

iPad, iOS 8, iPad Mini Retinas

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 12:54 PM

I thought I would mention - I called Apple Care support today to inquire about this very thing.

I was told this cannot be disabled and is part of the current security features for Apple IDs. A complaint can be logged requesting a change.

I personally will probably log something to the effect of:

I would appreciate the ability to manage my preferred method of notification via an Apple ID notification settings. Mandate at least one notification type, but allow me to disable all but one, if I prefer.

Working in the IT Support department of a company that deploys 200+ iPads for our sales team, and with sales having a lot of turn over, this poses a serious hindrance. Imagine an iPad registered on iCloud - the user does not have it on for a week or 2 (on vacation) - in the meantime I receive and reprep 25 iPads for new hires. This person turns on their iPad and will now spend several minutes pressing "ok" to the prompt:

"Your Apple ID is now being used for iCloud on a new iPad.

If you recently signed into "[iPadIdentifier]" you can ignore this notification."

Very annoying and time wasteful for our end user, not to mention our team has already taken calls regarding this, and now we have yet another thing to worry about.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2014 12:54 PM in response to Nekorb03

I thought I would mention - I called Apple Care support today to inquire about this very thing.

I was told this cannot be disabled and is part of the current security features for Apple IDs. A complaint can be logged requesting a change.

I personally will probably log something to the effect of:

I would appreciate the ability to manage my preferred method of notification via an Apple ID notification settings. Mandate at least one notification type, but allow me to disable all but one, if I prefer.

Working in the IT Support department of a company that deploys 200+ iPads for our sales team, and with sales having a lot of turn over, this poses a serious hindrance. Imagine an iPad registered on iCloud - the user does not have it on for a week or 2 (on vacation) - in the meantime I receive and reprep 25 iPads for new hires. This person turns on their iPad and will now spend several minutes pressing "ok" to the prompt:

"Your Apple ID is now being used for iCloud on a new iPad.

If you recently signed into "[iPadIdentifier]" you can ignore this notification."

Very annoying and time wasteful for our end user, not to mention our team has already taken calls regarding this, and now we have yet another thing to worry about.

Oct 1, 2014 1:14 PM in response to localedge

Thanks for the reply. I hope they can come up with a solution to this soon. We are about to take on 800 more iPads and roll them out to various schools and still haven't came up with a solid solution or workaround for this problem. We have noticed that sometimes we get a separate pop-up that asks you to sign into iCloud and we have been telling people to ignore that and hit cancel. This seems to stop the messages but we haven't found a way to force this from happening and every new ipad we setup we are still gettting a ton of pop-ups for each device.

So frustrating for everyone involved. If it wasn't a forced message and something in the background or in the notification bar that didn't interrupt the user it wouldn't be so bad!

Oct 29, 2014 7:07 AM in response to Nekorb03

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I have over 100 iPads deployed via Meraki/Apple Configurator all using the same Apple ID. When I set them up I left the option checked to automatically update the IOS when available. That was a big mistake. When that message comes up, our employees get booted from the production app they're using.

What's worse, I spent the last two weeks applying for the Apple Deployment Program. After jumping through all the hoops, I find out that we can't manage any of our iPads through that program because we didn't purchase them directly from Apple.

As much as I love Apple products, there is so much room for improvement when it comes to business use. I feel like there is a growing list of items that we just have to deal with. When my employees come looking for help, all I can say is, "Apple won't give us the ability to control/fix that."

Oct 29, 2014 1:10 PM in response to w84me2p

I'll be honest, I forget exactly where I went...

But I went to something like this: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

There are multiple feedback types to choose, take your pick:

*Enhancement request

*Design/Ease of Use

*Efficiency/Workflow

Bug Report

Coming from a software development background, I would suggest probably not using the "Bug Report" option, no matter how much you feel this is a bug. It's not really - sadly, it is working as intended 😟

The other 3 (*) - I could easily see making their way to the right folks who would listen to the concern.

We have been experiencing another "issue" and we have not necessarily isolated if this is somehow caused by some sort of end user error, or if it has something to do with a mechanism as yet unknown... We have had a couple users call us with notifications that they need to input the iCloud account; as if someone tried to change it, but found themselves stuck in a mode that requires a 'confirmation' of some kind. Since this has maybe happened perhaps 5 times since release, it leads me to believe this has to have something to do with user error, but I have yet to determine a common factor. The only thing I have noticed lately, only because I started looking for it now, the last couple who called were no longer on a network of some kind (WiFi only in our case). Aware of any "loss of communication" to the mother ship (iCloud) prompting a verification prompt of this nature? Very frustrating to either a) spend money and ship out an iPad swap or b) give the user the password so that prompt goes away (only to return who knows when...).

Thoughts?

Nov 3, 2014 5:26 AM in response to localedge

Thanks for the reporting information. I used the link to submit feedback, although I'm skeptical of how much weight these suggestions are given.

As far as the few cases of suspected iCloud account tampering you're getting - I really haven't seen anything similar myself. I have restrictions enabled on all of our deployed iPads with the accounts locked down. But, I imagine you do as well. We've had about 100 deployed for about 10 months now and so far, the only time users are prompted for iCloud password is when the iOS updates. I didn't foresee this issue when I configured them and now, the only way to stop them from automatically updating is to collect them all and tether them to the Apple server that I originally configured them on. Boo.

Nov 12, 2014 1:47 AM in response to Nekorb03

Good Morning.

We have about 40 iPad 2 4th Gen. Managed to work out how to stop the facetime and imessage messages on 7.1.1/2. Now some have them have upgraded to 8.0.2 I'm getting this iCloud message "Your Apple ID is now being used for iCloud on a new iPad". We do a lot of restoring from backups as the iPads get used regulary by lots of different people.

I have done a bit of testing.

When an iPad with 7.1.1/2 on it is restored from backup or setup as new; the message shows up on the iPads running 8.0.2, (all notifications off and in do not disturb mode) it does not show on 8.1 with all the notifications disabled and in do not disturb mode

When an iPad with 8.0.2 is restored or setup from new the message shows up on all the iPads running 8.0.2, again it does not show up on iPads running 7.1.1/2 (all notifications off and in do not disturb mode) or 8.1

When an iPad with 8.1 is restored / setup from new the message shows up on iPads running 8.0.2. It doesn't seem to show up on others running 8.1 or 7.1.1/2.

I have also tried resettting/ restoring an iPad running 8.0,2 that has already displayed the message on all the other iPads, thinking it might only send it once. This is not the case.

I guess i'm going to have to upgrade to 8.1, but i've heard its a bit slow on the iPad 2 4th gen.

Hope this helps someone.

Mar 24, 2015 8:10 PM in response to Nekorb03

I've got a similar issue.

We will be rolling out around 700 iPhones, then a further 1500 iPads.

The MDM solution for us, doesn't matter too much, even considering inTune.

It's the Apple ID element, which really concerns me, for the most part, I want people to use their own personal account if they have one, because they will be able to use their own apps and so on (even though work phone) but if they leave, and don't want to reset the device.......................................

Need an easy way to manage this, even though the VPP program assists with the App side of things, it's the exit users I am concerned about.

It doesn't seem there is an easy way to manage this. Sadly.

Mar 25, 2015 3:11 AM in response to cava83

VPP is designed as a one Apple ID per device system. You will need to create separate Apple IDs for each iPad in order to clear this notification. Each iPad should have a separate and individual Apple ID as well as a individual user enrolled to the device. This is how the system was designed to work and does work very well if it is set up correctly.

Mar 25, 2015 3:23 AM in response to Ho0ps

Ho0ps, thank you very much for your reply.

Noted on your response regarding VPP.

I am all up for doing things correctly, as I like to research what is correct and implementing that solution, however, there isn't such a quick resolution.

Ultimately, we will have just shy of 2600 iOS devices out there (Australia).

All devices will be used by employees, irrespective of them being iPhones/iPads.

How would you deploy them, considering there is no DEP in Australia at the moment too?

As stated, I am very happy for people to use their own Apple ID's if they have them available, but my concern is when they leave the company and they're not able to assist with resetting the devices to factory settings, we effectively have bricked units.

If we provide them with Apple ID's with their own corporate email addresses, it makes management a lot easier in that respect, but then they lose their flexibility and if they have other iOS devices, for them to be in Sync.

Not too worried about locking the device down too much, apart from the normal lock screen and so on.

Would be very interested to hear what your thoughts are, based on your experience.

Thanks very much

Mar 25, 2015 1:39 PM in response to cava83

You can have up to three appleid's pre device. I played around with this a bit & seemed to work. Set up your first apple id as a company appleid. Do activation lock on this id. Let the user get their own appleid.

You need to check all this out.

-- how the deployment of apps will be effected. Apps are owned by apple id.

-- what happens if the user with second apple id tries to set activation lock. Seems to be not allowed.

-- what is the effect of attempting to reset to factory setting. I assume it will be blocked for end user who doesn't know 1st appleid password.

Robert

Your apple ID is now being used for iCloud on a new iPad mass deployment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.