Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Restore Stuck on "Restoring iPhone Firmware" (iOS8)

I just cannot believe this.

My cellular data completely messed up, while I was using it. It gave me "Searching..." even when I removed the SIM card.

Then I finally decided to restore the iOS8, and it stuck on "Restoring iPhone Firmware", then iTunes got error "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9).".

I had every single iPhone model and this is the first time that it gave me that kind of serious problem.

I've tried everything, and it just doesn't start working.

Then, finally, I've found that ALOT of users are reporting the problem.

I hope anyone here to have a solution, and soon Apple to release working update.

P.S. I'm using both Macbook Air and Windows Notebook.

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 9:14 AM

15 replies

Sep 25, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Community User

Usually error 9 is about network problems.

Check your security software

Related errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1000, 1611, 9006. Sometimes security software can prevent your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't preventing a connection to the Apple servers.

But, as Apple withdraw their iOS 8.0.1 yesterday, it might have been that you tried to restore during the time when the update servers where down.

Sep 25, 2014 11:50 AM in response to Community User

iOS 8 Update Nightmare!

iOS 8 Update let me without the iPhone 5.

I just updated to iOS 8.0.1 on my iPhone 5 16GB, mobile carrier is 3 Three UK.
Since the update I lost the mobile network entirely,(carrier setings disappear) and it shows "no service".

I contact my carrier provider 3 Three UK and Customer Service told me that I not supposed to do the update.
On 3 Three Customer Support website write that the customers must do the OS updates.
They told me that the new versio of iOS 8 is only for iPhone 6.
They told me to contact Apple customer service because is Apple responsability.

I contact on Saturday Apple SUpport.
I spend around one hour witout result.

I contact again on Sunday Apple SUpport.
I spend around one hour with Senior Suport manahager witout result. I got and apoiment to Apple tech shop.

I spend a half o day doing the same things that we done before witout any result.

They assume that is a hardware fail with the phone. They don't know for shure but they try all software setings.

THe only solution I have is to pay £200 to replace my handset.

£200 + one day working lost = the price to pay for Apple testing the new iOS8.

Be aware that is no chance to rollback to iOS7, Apple told me.

And the iOS 8 nightmare continue..

Sep 26, 2014 5:46 AM in response to Ingo2711

Well, now the error is 3. I want to restore using 8.0.2, which has been just released. What 3 stands for and how this can be fixed?

Sep 26, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Community User

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

These errors mean that your device or computer may have a hardware issue that's preventing the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't preventing your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Confirm that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

copied from iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

Sep 26, 2014 8:46 AM in response to Ingo2711

Well, it can't be my computer, since I've tried on 3 different ones. I don't know what can be checked on the phone, since it's in recovery mode and basically useless. I'm trying to contact Apple Support, but they'll work on Monday.

Oct 15, 2014 10:41 AM in response to Community User

I'm having the same problem! I HAVE AN IPHONE 5C and I updated to ios 8.02 a while ago. my phone blurred out then came back on.I found out that my phone kept saying searching so I put my phone in recovery mode and attempted to restore. When restoring it always stops at "restoring firware" then shows unknown error (16). My phone also doesn't come on anymore. It either just shows the apple logo for about 8 seconds then goes off, or it shows the red iTunes logo with the plug going to it. HELP!!! I REALLY NEED ASSISTANCE!

Mar 17, 2015 12:39 AM in response to Community User

Hi,

I have the same issue as you and it seems like there is no solution to our problem here. I tried contacting Apple support, chatted and called them and all of the technicians made me repeat the same steps like 20 times and my phone still is not working. I decided to take it to the Apple Store today and after 3 hours of figuring out what was the issue, they tell me that there must be a hardware defect that is impeding the restore to complete. They told me that I have to pay $269 for a new phone because the factory warranty expired 50 days ago.

So, if you are within your 1 year factory warranty, I advise you to stop by an apple store and get your issue fixed by the so-called "genius" before they deny fixing your phone.

I don't understand why I need to pay for something that was not even my fault? how is that my fault that all of a sudden the phone gets a glitch and although I tried to restore it, it does not work?

After reading all these messages, I realized that I am not the only one with the issue and that Apple should be liable for these defective phones.

All of us are frustrated and Apple should be more responsive and understanding with the situation and cover the warranty do that we have working phones.

Mar 18, 2015 11:57 PM in response to Community User

Solved an issue like this on my iPhone 6 on Verizon by, get this, removing the SIM card, plugging the phone with its red iTunes death screen into the computer, and performing the "Restore / Restore & Update" now without the SIM, which worked fine and then slipped the SIM back in the phone and started using it.

This sounded too easy to be true and I tried it and it worked. Mine was locking up near the end of the restore every time while doing the firmware and I was going to take the phone back into the store when I saw a post stating that worked for someone and I am so grateful I tried it.

iPhone 5 Restore Stuck on "Restoring iPhone Firmware" (iOS8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.