Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email problems sending messages with IPhone 6

Both my wife and I have had problems with our IPhone 6's when sending email. Seems to be related to the SMTP server and the password that is set on the phone. Somehow the password either gets corrupted or disappears and message stay in the Outbox. If the password is re-entered in the Outgoing server section of the email setup then sometimes that corrects the problem Other times the phone needs the 2 button reset. Anyone else experience this or have similar issue? This happens both on LTE and WIFI. Messages can still be received just send does not work.

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 10:50 AM

Delete the email accounts off the phone. Then re-input them.

25 replies

Sep 25, 2014 11:24 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

This has only happened since w upgraded our IPhone 5's to the 6's, Restored from ICloud. Yes we removed and re-added my wife's email account. Things worked for a while the did not work in the morning. We've had the same email provider (RCN) for years and no problem with IPhone 4 and 5 in the past. We also read a post about someone having similar problem with both IPhone and IPad and they had a different internet provider.

Sep 26, 2014 3:32 AM in response to lvaradi

I have the same problem.

I have setup a new iPhone 6 using the restore from iTunes to import all the settings from my old iPhone 5.

Note that the iPhone 5 was running iOS6 and the iPhone 6 was on iOS8.00

Now on the new iPhone 6 all the emails arrive fine but I can't send anything from any of my accounts. For each one (and each one was set up to use a different SMTP) I get the same error "cannot send mail - the username or password for SMTP:username@mail.domain.com is incorrect" (I have not reprinted here my username and domain, but the error message shows the correct ones).

Note that I still have the iPhone 5 and this can still send mail without any problem. I have checked the settings and they are exactly the same.

My mail server is IMAP, it uses the name mail.domain.com instead of the classic smtp.domain.com, it's on port 25, there is no SSL but it is password protected with the same password used for receiving mail. I have checked all these settings and they are exactly the same for iPhone 5 and iPhone 6.

I am currently having to go back to use the iPhone 5 and leave the new one home for watching videos with wi-fi !!

It makes for a great laugh from anyone that asks me about the new phone.

P.S. the phone is now running iOS 8.02 - I can't say if the issue was already there with 8.00, I have had it for just a couple of days on 8.00 and I don't remember trying to send an email from that, but I can't be sure.

Sep 26, 2014 8:14 AM in response to federicofromlondon

Generally, restoring from a backup and/or syncing with iTunes does not bring over the password, that is a safety measure. Go back into the account and verify that you have the username and password entered in all sections. If you are not sure, take the time to remove the account and add it back again, ensuring that you have all of the correct settings to enter before beginning. After entering the account it should verify, and if it does then it should work.

Sep 26, 2014 6:38 PM in response to federicofromlondon

Solved.

It is correct that the restore doesn't copy the password, so I had already re-entered the password. But restore had also switched back the SSL to the default value on.

My server is not on SSL so I had to switch it off.

What was confusing is that now, having the correct password already entered, and then switching off SSL on SMTP (there is also a separate SSL setting for receiving mail) it kept giving the error message about username or password incorrect.

Apparently it was necessary to enter the password again - even though it appeared to be already there - and this time it worked.

The same sequence had to be repeated for the other accounts.

If I had to do it again, the sequence is: go to SMTP settings, switch off SSL, then enter the correct password, then click on DONE.

Entering the password first, clicking on DONE, then switching SSL off, and clicking on DONE would not work.

Sep 30, 2014 7:38 AM in response to lvaradi

OK I have changed from the iPhone 5S to iPhone 6+ and restored from iCloud and all my email accounts would receive but not send. I checked and all my SMTP servers were set to "Off" as a result of the restore.

So what just worked for me was to go to: settings/mail,contacts,calendars and select the email account you are having problems with the tap the user name or account name then select "outgoing mail server" (again tap user name or email name") and you will see a list of all SMTP servers you have set up, if you have more than one. Select the server(s) you want to use and change to "on".

As a result all my emails stuck in the outbox sent!

Nov 25, 2014 2:32 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Greetings Folks,

Yep, now into Day 3 of the new Iphone 6+

For Cox.net mail accounts only:

The results from a 30 min call with a Cox Level 2 Tech Support CSR. Here is the fix for sending mail issue from your Iphone 6 and 6+. The Tech Support rep also noted that they in ongoing chats with Apple to resolve what appears to be an ongong matter..

Try this Fix:

Got to>> Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> in ‘Accounts’ touch 'Cox Account'

Incoming Mail Sever settings:

Host Name: pop.cox.net

User Name: (Your User Name)

Password: Your Password

Touch>.'Advanced'

(Please verify Advance Incoming Setting.)

Incoming Settings:

Use SSL OFF

Authentic Password (Dimmed)

Delete from Server: Never (Dimmed) --You can adjust that at your account server URL http://webmail.cox.net

Server Port: 110

S/MIME OFF

(Here is the key fix point:))

Outgoing Mail Server: SMTP.cox.net

Then Touch ‘SMTP’

‘smtp.cox.net’ is only server that should be switched ON >.Then Touch >> Outgoing Mail Server

Server ON

Outgoing Mail Settings:

Host Name: smtp.cox.net

Password: (Your Password

Use SSL: ON

Authentication: Password

Server Port 587

Touch “Done”

Verify should be complete within 3 seconds. Then send a Test Message to your primary xxxx@cox.net account from your device.

No error message? You are back in business.

Hope this works at your end…

-Mark M.

Nov 25, 2014 2:47 PM in response to lvaradi

Greetings Folks,

Yep, now into Day 3 of the new Iphone 6+

For Cox.net mail accounts only:

The results from a 30 min call with a Cox Level 2 Tech Support CSR. Here is the fix for sending mail issue from your Iphone 6 and 6+. The Tech Support rep also noted that they in ongoing chats with Apple to resolve what appears to be an ongong matter..

Try this Fix:

Got to>> Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> in ‘Accounts’ touch 'Cox Account'

Incoming Mail Sever settings:

Host Name: pop.cox.net

Password: Your Password

Touch>.'Advanced'

(Please verify Advance Incoming Setting.)

Incoming Settings:

Use SSL OFF

Authentic Password (Dimmed)

Delete from Server: Never (Dimmed) --You can adjust that at your account server URL http://webmail.cox.net

Server Port: 110

S/MIME OFF

(Here is the key fix point:))

Outgoing Mail Server: SMTP.cox.net

Then Touch ‘SMTP’

‘smtp.cox.net’ is only server that should be switched ON >.Then Touch >> Outgoing Mail Server

Server ON

Outgoing Mail Settings:

Host Name: smtp.cox.net

Password: (Your Password

Use SSL: ON

Authentication: Password

Server Port 587

Touch “Done”

Verify should be complete within 3 seconds. Then send a Test Message to your primary xxxx@cox.net account from your device.

No error message? You are back in business.

Hope this works at your end…

-Mark M.

Nov 25, 2014 7:24 PM in response to Mark Maurer

Interesting that you responded to me, but I was not asking a question. And, in addition, no where in this post did anyone state they were using Cox mail accounts. I can appreciate your taking the time to post this information, however settings for Cox email would not be relevant for anyone no using that system. Each SMTP server for individual email providers is different.

Email problems sending messages with IPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.