Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud keychain approval from other device not working

SO I have an iPhone 5, and a 13 in. macbook pro with retina display. I am also part of the public beta so I have sperate partition on my hard drive for yosemite. They are all synced using my iCloud account, but the keychain isn't working. They all save passwords, but separately, and it won't sync between devices. I have tried countless times to approve with other device and nothing happens. I have tried to "approve with security code" and I get enter my code, and the 6 digit code that I get in a message. It seems like it goes smoothly and then right when it finishes it says that I need to approve it again.

I have tried from my phone and computer, but neither of them work. And I have searched the internet for other people with this problem but have found nothing.

any ideas would be appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 8, and os x mavericks / yosemite pb

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 6:01 PM

45 replies

Apr 21, 2017 2:29 PM in response to adamr3

I realise this is an old post but this just happened to me after updating my iphone software...

I resolved by opening restrictions on iphone and allowing changes to accounts which I had previously disabled for security. As soon as I did this the approve with other device messages started flooding in. In the end though it got so confusing I just removed my macbook from my icloud approved devices via iphone and added it again from my macbook directly, problem sorted.

Good luck all : )

Jun 26, 2017 3:57 AM in response to adamr3

I think I have this cracked thanks to a long call with Apples support. Basically, it goes like this.

1. Log out of iCloud on ALL your devices. You can make sure you've got them all by checking your iCloud account on your browser, you can see all logged in devices in your settings: click on your name at the top right corner, then iCloud settings in the drop-down menu. As you log out, the device should disappear when you refresh the page. If you have an Apple Watch that doesn't disappear, just click it, and then hit the X next to it in the device menu that appears.

2. Turn on iCloud and two-factor authentication on one device (iCloud > then click the bit with your name and AppleID > then Passwords & Security). Use your iPhone to do this first if you have one (best connectivity).

3. Once that's set up, you should be able to log into your other devices one by one and it should come up on your already-connected device(s) that someone's trying to connect from a particular locale (related to the location of the server, not the position of the actual device!). You click allow, and then it will give you a passcode which you type into the device.

4. From what I can tell, there is then a problem that a "Waiting for approval" screen comes up and, essentially, never goes away. If you're on a iOS device, don't hit cancel or that you can't approve, just double click home and swipe the screen away. You're already approved if you get this far, so just get rid of it. You can also do this with a Force Quit on your Mac (you can then go back into your preferences and make sure that your iCloud services are correct... and no, you don't lose the changes you made before you got to this screen if you quit out of preferences this way)... though you may well end up with another "Waiting for approval" screen, you will be able to get things done. I think these "Waiting for approval" messages will go away eventually if left alone, but they take a really long time, and if you have work to do, this strategy seems to work. Note that the top of the pop-leads you to believe you need another code from another one of your devices, but you've already input that and it's waiting for approval from that so you don't need to do anything further. All you want is to avoid hitting Cancel or Can't approve (hence the force quit).

5. If you need reassurance, you can see that you are now connected to iCloud by going back to your iCloud account settings on your browser (see Step 1) and seeing that that device is present. Also, check that your iCloud e-mail, contacts, and other services are where they are supposed to be.

I hope this helps!

Sep 28, 2014 2:29 PM in response to adamr3

Hi adamr3,

If you are having issues with syncing iCloud Keychain between multiple devices, I would suggest that you troubleshoot using the steps in this article -

Get help using iCloud Keychain

Specifically -

1. Turn off iCloud Keychain on all devices.
  2. Turn on iCloud Keychain on the device that has the most up-to-date keychain items.
  3. Turn on iCloud Keychain on your other devices. They will be updated with your new iCloud Keychain.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Sep 28, 2014 11:26 PM in response to Brett L

Ok I tried that and when I turned it on again I approved it with the security code and it still says I need to approve it with another device. No other device is using key chain at the moment. Could it be because I got a new phone recently and it wants me to approve it from the old one? If I use the code to approve it do I still have to approve it with another device? Is it supposed to be one or the other because I have done both and nothing works.

Sep 29, 2014 4:30 PM in response to léonie

I have been experiencing the same issue. I have turned off iCloud from all devices and attempted to approve from other device, but I never receive the request.

I have attempted to approve via the Use Code option, but again it fails and just suggests "Try restoring iCloud Keychain again."

Maybe my situation is more difficult to diagnose as I have a Mac Pro, MBP, iPhone and iPad all previously using iCloud and Keychain.

I have attached the screenshots taken during attempts to resolve.

9to5 Mac have also just reported that iCloud appears to be done across all iOS & OSX.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jul 17, 2015 9:22 AM in response to adamr3

ok I think i figured it out. it was because I had not enabled 2 step verification like léonie said.

and hoodie916 I am not sure if that is the same error message I got. Mine didn't have an error message. immediately after approving it with the code it showed this... just asking me to approve from another device. but I can't because i don't have 2 step verification enabled.

I hope this helps. good luck.

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Oct 7, 2014 1:37 PM in response to adamr3

ok. I have now set up 2 step verification, but it still does the same thing. There is no error message when I try to enable keychain. But if I try to enable it with my other device, it will say that it is waiting for approval from other device, but nothing will pop up on any of my devices. I can go choose to enable it with my security code, it seems to work and I put in the code and the one that it texts me, but then it still says waiting for approval from other device.

Apr 2, 2015 4:52 AM in response to Brett L

I've been having the same issue for weeks...

The standard IT answer of "turn it off and on again" is all well and good, but when I try to turn off on my Air, the check box immediately gets rechecked.It's off for about 1 second then it comes back on without me doing anything. I can't follow these steps if MacOS won't even let me complete step 1..!

Apr 24, 2015 8:15 PM in response to GadgetGav

I had the same problem and finally got it to work. When you are asked for your 4 digit security code, click forgot code even if you know it. This will take you through steps to re-enter a code and clear the iCloud keychain. I tried this numerous times and always got the "unable to communicate with iCloud" message. The trick to this (for me anyway) was to do this reset on my iPhone with iOS 8 and NOT from any of my computers. Once I did it on my phone, approve from another device started working. What a frustrating experience.

iCloud keychain approval from other device not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.