Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone app not working iPhone 5 iOS 8

Hi,

After I installed iOS 8 the phone app on my iPhone 5 is not working anymore. When I try to open it, or it shows only a blank screen and crashes after a few seconds, or it opens and freezes so can't navigate to another field for example from "favorites" to "recently" etc. Today I installed the update 8.0.2 and still have the same problem.

Please help, thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 6:17 PM

19 replies

Sep 26, 2014 6:30 AM in response to rsiwa

I am having the same problem and I figured out a temporary solution.

1. Go to Settings > Phone > My Number.

2. Change at least one digit in your number and click save. When you go to the make a call your number will still come up on the recipients phone as your original number.

3. Open the Phone and make a call.

I previously noted that this solution is temporary because once you close the phone app your number in Settings > Phone > My Number is automatically restored to the original number and the phone app no long works until you repeat steps 1 - 3.

Additional Note:

I restored my phone to original settings and the phone app did work. I then restored from backup and the phone app no longer worked.

Sep 27, 2014 1:04 PM in response to rsiwa

I'm having the same problem. I updated my iphone 5 to IOS 8.0.2. Everything seemed to work fine but suddenly my phone app crashed while receive a call and now it only opens up to a blank screen. Can't believe Apple is frustrating so many users since the IOS 8 release.

User ughthisphone's solution above did not work for me.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.0.2

Oct 18, 2014 1:53 PM in response to rsiwa

I have exactly the same problem since the day I upgraded do 8.0 on my 5S.

If I downgrade do 7.0 the Phone app works again. However as soon as I upgrade do 8.0 or 8.02 the problem retrurns.

I had since then purchased the iphone6 and after I restored my back-up the problem returned.

I'm using an alternative launch /short cut dialer as an alternative to the original Phone App until there is a solution.

Any hints are highly appreciated since this is very annoying problem...

Dec 17, 2014 7:35 AM in response to rsiwa

Did anyone ever get a solution to this?

I'm on 8.1.2 (installed a couple of days ago)on my iPhone 5S and last night I had a missed international call.

I went into the RECENT CALLS tab and bam, it froze.

So the Apple Phone app is now useless. Every time I go in I just get a white blank screen.

I've tried everything I can think of except doing a hard reset back to factory settings and I don't want to do that because I've just been through a hard couple of days getting some professional apps to run and inputting a lot of detailed VPN settings working with our corporate help-desk and I was just about to take a new backup. Plus I'm not not even sure it's going to stay stable for long - I have business colleagues with the same phone on 8.1.1 and their RECENT CALLS screens are showing very erratic behaviour. On the older releases it seems the solution was to delete the RECENT CALLS data but then it was under General Settings. Now you need the frozen screen to do this.

Last night I was having to make calls sitting in the car using the multimedia Bluetooth center.

Then I realised I could work through contacts to make calls.

Then I saw this thread this morning and used the tip to use a 3rd party dialer (***?). Fantastic!

So I can make calls but I can't see any details of missed calls.

Dec 17, 2014 7:53 AM in response to miketsp

PS: Added - I just found a temporary solution. one of the posters above mentioned that it cleared by itself. So I assumed it is data sensitive. So kept making calls alternately from 2 other numbers to my iPhone without answering any of them (to force the list of RECENTS to grow. The number of missed calls kept increasing. All of a sudden the screen became available in a jerky manner but it unfroze and I was able to use EDIT - CLEAR to clear out the RECENTS data. The phone is now back to normal.

Dec 23, 2014 12:25 PM in response to rsiwa

Solved!

1) Double click the button and kill (swipe up) all apps.

2) Go to Phone app

3) In the frozen screen, click the Recent Calls menu and be patient (about 1 minute)

4) After a minute or so, the list appears. Delete all calls in the Recent Call list (menu in the top).

5) Voilà!

P.S. Previously I had tried to restore everything and it didn't help. Also, tried to grow the recent list, but it also didn't help. Changing my phone number to a bogus one made it work for some seconds, what proved that the problem was in the data.

Dec 25, 2014 10:28 AM in response to rsiwa

I have the same issue. I tried calling myself and missing the calls, changing my own number. Also tried everything else, such as turning it off, killing all apps, including the phone app....... And nothing works. Please, if anyone could come with an alternative sollution, it would be welcome.

PS : Sorry for my english, I am Brazilian.

Phone app not working iPhone 5 iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.