Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OneNote for Mac - Backup Solutions Needed

Upon installing Microsoft OneNote for Mac, the software client automatically saves all OneNote files in the cloud with OneDrive. Is anyone aware of how one might save a backup of these files to a local or alternative cloud location (e.g. iCloud or Google Drive) for safekeeping? As it stands now, OneDrive will not allow a user to copy the OneNote files to another location, nor will it allow a user to move the files to a non-OneDrive location. Additionally, there is no option available on the client to export within the native file format (or export at all, frankly).

The best backup method as of this moment is to email yourself each and every note created in OneNote. In addition to being tedious, it wholly lacks in anything resembling security for the note contents.

Left as is, the only copy of all content created and saved in OneNote for Mac is saved on OneDrive. It goes down, all content is lost for all intents and purposes.

If someone has figured out a way to overcome this issue (other than moving to another software solution or using Windows), I'd really like to know.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 8:21 PM

49 replies

Mar 13, 2017 9:18 PM in response to DATElliott

i do a little tweak for backup.

Copy the notebook in onedrive online and paste it in a different folder with sm new name (.orig , .bck or smthn).

Create a copy whenevr u hv smthing important.

Do not open this backup notebook in onenote application on ur mac. (so it will never show up or sync)

if u loose smthn, delete everything and just open this up on ur mac.

Also, never click on "sync all notebooks"

Aug 30, 2015 7:04 PM in response to coba4ix

I have this problem too - Need a good way to backup OneNote files since I am no longer using a PC.

The Outline app looks like a possible solution, but it seems to be a clone of OneNote. Since I already have OneNote on multiple platforms (Mac, iPhone, iPad, and originally on PC), I don't see the benefit of adding another program to the mix.

I think the Outline people should consider building a stripped down version single-function version and selling it as a backup tool for One Note. Sure, they are racing against Microsoft eventually adding this feature to OneNote for the Mac, but if they keep a robust list of 3rd party cloud services then they would still have some added value.

Right now, my backup options are to keep one PC laptop around running OneNote or possibly to configure a Windows Virtual Machine and have it run OneNote (since I need the VM for other things anyway).

I agree with the original poster that relying on the Cloud only is not backup and having to manually do a workflow of exporting or copying notes to another app is not sustainable so some solution is mandatory.

Nov 20, 2015 8:24 AM in response to rspiv

If you login to OneNote online there is a download button of your documents. I downloaded and opened a zip. There are all you files under .one

Also there is an option in menu called upload. I have not tried it so if you lose all the files, I wonder if I upload the downloaded files will it work?

Otherwise, I could not find a solution anywhere.

Microsoft, what is going with your back up system for Mac, there is for windows though?

Nov 20, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Csound1

Now I understand what you meant by a local OneDrive. Thanks CSound1

I Installed OneNote, that syncs my files online with OneDrive. But I did not install OneDrive application on my mac.

Following your advice I went to the application store to download OneDrive to my system, as I noticed 80% of one star reviews. The main issue is syncing with a local Documents folder. Also a lot of people reported bugs, crashes, what not.

Thanks CSound1

Just have to experiment.

Nov 20, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Csound1

I need just a simple back up of all the documents. Rely on OneDrive only, makes me feel uncomfortable. Everything I do on my Mac I have BackUps, sometimes duplicate backups. Its sounds like paranoia, but I was burned one time, where I had to spend weeks to get all the information back, to my mac, and it was a nightmare.

Thanks again for your support, what would I do without an Apple Community?

OneNote for Mac - Backup Solutions Needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.