Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes will not backup my iphone 6

I backup my iphone 5 without a problem. Then I did a restore to my iphone 6... no problem.

Now I cannot backup the iphone 6 using iTunes. I get a general error message.

I then installed iTunes (X64) to my laptop. Same problem. General error message.

I reset my computer, rebooted my iphone. I cannot update to 8.0.2 (from 8.00) because when it unpacks the update, the automatic backup fails.

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 8:48 PM

51 replies

Sep 26, 2014 7:56 AM in response to gdgmacguy

The exact error message is:

iTunes could not back up the iphone "Jons-iPhone 6" because an error occurred.

Please disconnect and reconnect the iPhone, then try again.

The error message occurs during stage 3 of backup. I installed iTunes 11.4 on my laptop to rule out a problem with iTunes on my main windows

7 computer. I replaced the usb cord to rule that as a problem.

I cannot upgrade IOS 8.0.0. to IOS 8.0.2 because itune does a backup automatically prior to installing it.

I do not want to risk an direct ios upgrade from my iphone 6.

1. I have been backing up my iphone 5 without problems all year.

2. Setting up my iphone 6 .. no problems at all. Restoring all my apps, music, etc to my new iphone 6... no problems at all.

3. My SSD drive was checked for errors as well.... no problems.

4. I did a iTunes 11.4 install repair on my main PC and rebooted my iphone 6 and PC again.

5. I installed iTunes 11.4 on my laptop windows 7 x64, authorized the laptop with apple... same exact error message without an error number.

6. I am receiving the same error message on the laptop, at (iTunes could not back up the iphone "Jons-iPhone 6" because an error occurred.

Please disconnect and reconnect the iPhone, then try again.

If there was an error message number, tracking and fixing the problem would not be an issue for me. I have been using iTunes since

my iphone 3, iphone 4, iphone 5, ipad2, ipod, and now iphone 6.

Sep 28, 2014 7:02 AM in response to madlearning

Apple is investigating my problem. Apple has collected data and several Apple files from my computer.

I have been told not to update to 8.0.2 directly on my iPhone (I cannot do it using iTunes anyway). The reason I was told not to update to 8.0.2 is because they are not sure it will solve the current problem or create new problems. They want to be sure first.

Please note I can now sync my contacts, calendar, and notes with Outlook, but still received an error message towards the end.

I have verified that my apps were updated, contacts, calendar, and notes... but I still cannot do a backup of my iPhone 6.

I am guessing there will be an iTunes and iPhone IOS update shortly.

Please also note that I cannot backup to iCloud either.. so the problem seems to be following my iPhone.

I should be hearing from Apple support tomorrow (Monday) and I will relay any information that could be helpful to this thread).

Sep 28, 2014 7:57 AM in response to Liman23

Ok thanks a lot for sharing and replying...interestingly when I was with Apple Helpdesk yesterday, the consultant asked me to update to 8.0.2.

What you have described is exactly what I encountered. When I do a sync, it appears fine until the last stage before giving an error. However for backup, the error appears much faster.

I also cannot backup to iCloud either, tried today. The thing I cannot understand is that the backup for iPhone 5 went smoothly and the 1st restore to iPhone 6 also went smoothly....it is only when I need to backup after all the transfer is done. Could it be some file in iPhone 6 that is corrupted that prevents a smooth backup?

Do keep me updated if you find any fixes or updates from Apple.

Sep 28, 2014 10:34 AM in response to madlearning

The problem seems to follow the iPhone 6, but it could be that iTunes needs another update 11.4 to 11.5... and / or another IOS update.

Worst case scenario... corruption on iPhone 6 and a full reset is needed, but this may not be the case.

Most likely an apple side update is coming. I'll post when I get more information. Please post if you or anyone else has additional information.

Oct 20, 2014 9:06 PM in response to alan.j

Apole has new ver 12.02 iTunes out. I installed and tried backing up and still no joy . I have cleared backup history and cleared lockdown folder, and tried resetting iPhone settings only and a phone reset by holding iPhone buttons. Still does not back up without getting non-specific error message. I also tried backing up to iCloud. Get same message. I have not tried a full reset back to factory settings yet but it sounds like that did not work either

Oct 20, 2014 11:36 PM in response to tzimmermn

Yes this is not acceptable....interestingly I think the problem is more related to iOS8 software.

Previously I have no problem to backup my iPhone 5 which was running iOS7, however recently I tried to upgrade my iPhone5 to iOS8 and immediately I get the same error message of unable to backup to iTunes, same message as what I see on my iPhone6!

I heard that a new iOS8 update is coming soon, we should keep highlighting this issue to Apple so that they can include the fix for this frustrating issue!

Oct 21, 2014 9:13 AM in response to Liman23

Hi everyone,

just want to check that I am not going crazy as it seems apple are bent on sending me that way! So updated itunes recently and tried to update to new IOS8.1. Just like many of you are you all getting same issue of message says itunes cant back up iphone due to disconnected. Tried all the tricks, reinstall, restart, deleted back ups, but still same message. I know it is not my ports that are issue here as USB detects the phone and recognises it on P.Cit is even charging as we speak in the USB port at the front so no connection issue. Are we all in the same apple boat? I am very fed up to be honest and fast wondering how many hours of my life are wasted on apple software issues!!

Should mention that mine is a 4s and seems users regardless of iphone generation having trouble.

Looking for reassurance we are all in this together! lol

itunes will not backup my iphone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.