Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When running iBooks and turning the brightness very low, it only darkens half the page. Anyone else?

User uploaded file

I like to read at night before bed. The screen on anything higher than super low is too bright to be comfortable in such low light... since iOS8 came out this is how my books look. Is this happening to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it other than just wait and hope for an update?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 10:52 PM

24 replies

Sep 26, 2014 10:32 AM in response to amfox34

Both my wife and I experience the same problem. I was just about to address the issue with Apple support, but hopefully with this thread they become aware of the issue (if not already aware)

Both my wife and I use iPad Mini (non-Retina). Started with iOS 8, not fixed with either 8.0.1 or 8.0.2. Crossing our fingers that 8.0.3 addresses the issue.

No pic from our displays as they look exactly the same as the samples above. The first 2" at the left don't dim when requested by sliding the slider within iBooks to its minimum setting following the iPad brightness set as low as it will go.

MGSTOLK - 2 x iPad Mini (non-retina) iOS 8.0, 8.0.1 & 8.0.2

Sep 26, 2014 12:58 PM in response to amfox34

Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

I'm running an iPad 3rd gen with 8.0.2 and I'm not seeing that at all.Does this happen on all files, or just specific books? and does it happen when you manually switch to night mode (I notice from your screen shot that you have it set to automatic)?

Sep 26, 2014 1:09 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

It occurs only if you slide the slider to the minimum setting in the attempts to get the scree even darker. I have attempted your suggested reset to no avail. The screen still remains brighter within 2" of the home button. Notably, if your home button is on the left in landscape mode the brighter portion will be on the left. Alternately if you have your iPad with the home button on the right in landscape orientation the brighter "bar" will be on the right.

Understandable about your comment on the feedback. I will address the issue with Apple. I am sure they are aware and given the current debacle of iOS 8.0.1 I am sure they have a lot on their hands.

Sep 27, 2014 7:47 PM in response to amfox34

I am also having the same problem with iBooks on my iPad 2 with the new 8.0 update. No matter which way the screen is orientated, there is a bright spot in dim mode next the the home button that is about two inches wide - it doesn't matter if the page is in white, sepia, or night mode, either. Hopefully the next update takes care of it. I enjoy reading at night, and the brightness can be irritating.

When running iBooks and turning the brightness very low, it only darkens half the page. Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.