Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW picture previews loading extremely slow since IOS 8 using the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit

Hi all

First, sorry for my poor english, I hope you understand my problem.

Device is iPad Air Wi-Fi with IOS 8.

I just realized this issue yesterday. I wanted to import some of my RAW pictures from my Nikon camera's SD card, using the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit. In the Photos app / Import tab, the RAW picture previews show extremely slow. It takes a second to show each photo preview before import. A second for every single picture preview 😟

For example, if you have 500 pictures on your SD card, and you want to import pictures from this card but just some selected, then you need to wait for an overview preview a lot of minutes. On IOS 7 this process was maybe 10 seconds for all of the pictures...

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8, IOS 8, RAW, Import, Picture preview

Posted on Sep 25, 2014 11:59 PM

40 replies

Sep 27, 2014 10:20 AM in response to Viktor Tiba

I'm having this issue as well. It used to take a couple of seconds of thinking time, then the preview pics would load very quickly, whizzing through the whole memory card in moments. Now it can take 30minutes to finish previewing my 64Gb card, which is obviously a problem. on the current import running as I type this, it is taking 12sec to fill each line of seven preview pics.

IPad mini, no other apps running, lots of free memory. Happy to provide more tech info if needed.

Oct 2, 2014 12:42 PM in response to Viktor Tiba

I'm in the same boat, previewing RAW files using the Camera Connection Kit on my iPad Mini Retina is terribly slow!

It's unusable and takes forever to import anything to my iPad. The same thing happened when iOS 7 first came out, I can only assume that Apple do NO user acceptance testing when it comes to the Lightning SD card kit!

I guess we'll have to wait months for them to fix it : (

Nov 12, 2014 12:39 PM in response to Viktor Tiba

Same problem here. As a professional wedding photographer, sifting through my photos while on the go is the reason for me purchasing the iPad (Retina) 2 years ago, I now have an $800 paperweight after iOS8.x.x. Apple, if you actually read these, please inform your engineers to fix this in the next update or at least provide us with a solution to return to iOS7.x.x. Makes me wonder if there is any QA or testing that goes on before an update is released. As an FYI, here's my thread from a few weeks ago: Native Photos App, Slow... No, I mean really slow.

RAW picture previews loading extremely slow since IOS 8 using the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.