Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library (beta) - how does it work?

8.0.2 has an option to enable iCloud Photo Library (beta), I am trying to understand how it works before I turn it on...

The description says it will auto-upload the entire iPhoto Library to iCloud so other devices that can access these photos by using the same Apple ID. It also has sub-option to keep original photo or keep optimized photo on the device. So questions:

1. This feature seems to do what Photo Stream does, will new taken photos be auto-sent to iCloud and Photo Stream?

2. Does iCloud Photo Library count iCloud storage?

3. Those albums synced with iTunes, will they be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library, and no longer sync with iTunes? Will they be deleted from devices? Will the iTunes Photo Sync selections be disabled?

4. Here "iPhoto Library" refers to the photo library on devices only, or it includes the Photo Library on computer? My Mac iPhoto/Aperture also signs in the same Apple ID, will those photos on my Mac be auto-uploaded to iCloud?

5. Presently I sync selected photos to devices via iTunes, if iTunes Sync is disabled after enabled iCloud Photo Library, how can I send selected photos to devices?

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 9:17 PM

Well I had the same doubts and to be clear I actually turned on the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) on my iPhone 5S (8.0.2). Basically there are 2 options -

1. Optimize iPhone Storage: When you select this, all your photos and videos are uploaded on the iCloud and are removed from your phone. However, the thumbnails of both photos and videos still remain in the Photo Album. When you click on a particular photo or a video, it basically streams the photo/video there and then from the cloud.In other words, it creates a photo stream automatically and deletes local copy.

2.Download and Keep Originals: When you select this, all photos and videos are backed up on the cloud. But local copy of them on the phone are not deleted.

One thing to note is that still the Photos App has not released on iCloud as yet. So if you want to see your original copies right now, you can't see it online. Either you use the iCloud Software on PC to download or probably selecting the option of "Download and Keep Originals" might download it again on your phone (this is just a guess - haven't verified it myself!)

Also, what is uploaded on the cloud counts from your storage space. Also, if you select this, all your photos synced with your computer will be deleted!!!

Hope that answers your query!!!

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2014 9:17 PM in response to s2s

Well I had the same doubts and to be clear I actually turned on the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) on my iPhone 5S (8.0.2). Basically there are 2 options -

1. Optimize iPhone Storage: When you select this, all your photos and videos are uploaded on the iCloud and are removed from your phone. However, the thumbnails of both photos and videos still remain in the Photo Album. When you click on a particular photo or a video, it basically streams the photo/video there and then from the cloud.In other words, it creates a photo stream automatically and deletes local copy.

2.Download and Keep Originals: When you select this, all photos and videos are backed up on the cloud. But local copy of them on the phone are not deleted.

One thing to note is that still the Photos App has not released on iCloud as yet. So if you want to see your original copies right now, you can't see it online. Either you use the iCloud Software on PC to download or probably selecting the option of "Download and Keep Originals" might download it again on your phone (this is just a guess - haven't verified it myself!)

Also, what is uploaded on the cloud counts from your storage space. Also, if you select this, all your photos synced with your computer will be deleted!!!

Hope that answers your query!!!

Sep 26, 2014 11:46 PM in response to Aditya Zutshi

Thanks for the reply, that helps to clarify some doubts but still have some unclear

When I select "Download and Keep Originals", it is basically just to use iCloud as a backup, like a cloud time machine, but those existing albums / photos (sync from computer) are still on device and remain the same album structure?

Does that mean it won't impact computer Photo Library at this moment since iPhoto/Aperture does not support iCloud Photo Library. When new Photo app (come with Yosemite?) is ready to support iCloud Photo Library, and I enable it on my Mac, all my Photo Library on my Mac will be backup to iCloud if storage is allowed?

Sounds like before new Photo app is released, I can still copy the photo from computer to Phone via iTunes Sync, once photos are in Phone, they will be auto-uploaded to iCloud? But how come I read other posts that said once iCloud Photo Library is enabled, your iTunes Photo option is disabled too?

Sep 27, 2014 6:21 AM in response to s2s

Interesting. I've been a hardcore Aperture user for a long time and have used it over Adobe Lightroom (I'd be remiss if I didn't say I am pretty nervous to lose Aperture). Many of us of have iPhone and DSLR photos all mixed together. I wonder if iCloud will allow us to truly keep all photos in the Cloud or will it just be Apple photos?

Sep 27, 2014 7:20 PM in response to s2s

iCloud Photo Library (Beta)

Reply to S2S: Yes, you are right. With "Download and Keep Originals", it is simply using iCloud to back up every photo and video on your iPhone to the cloud. And your photos and videos on iPhone are left untouched. By the way, I tried changing "Optimize Phone Storage" to "Download and Keep Originals" and all the photos and videos from cloud were downloaded on my iPhone again.

About your question for photo/video back up from PC/Mac - you can right now also install an application from apple named "iCloud Control Panel" and check the photo stream. All the multimedia on your iCloud will immediately be downloaded on your computer and you can also put your computer multimedia into the cloud from the same application by simple drag and drop.But yes, if apple releases an app for Yosemite, it should do it more seamlessly.

And yes, I am heard the same - once you activate photo library, the photo sync option from iTunes disappears. But you can use the iCloud Control Panel to do the same thing!!! I have tried it and it works brilliantly!

Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Reply to Steve Wallis: iCloud will let you keep all the photos on iCloud. You can use the iCloud Control Panel for the same. I have myself tried it and it works seamlessly. Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Sep 27, 2014 10:05 PM in response to s2s

I just hit the go button on all of the above and i am hoping that it will work well to free up space on my maxed out 16GB phone.

VERY DISSAPOINTED that it counts towards storage space in iCloud. its bad enough that i have bought several devices and i only have the standard 5GB allowance to back up all of them up. I think i'll end up having to switch it off just to keep my backups. this will probably be the deal breaker for me!

Sep 27, 2014 10:51 PM in response to Aditya Zutshi

Thanks for the answer, that almost clarified my doubts.

Looks like you are using Windows, there is no "iCloud Control Panel" in OS X, also in OS X peopleorganise photos in iPhoto or Aperture, photos are hosted in iPhoto Library bundle, not by folder-structure like what Windows does, I don't know how to drag and drop photos to "iCloud Control Panel" unless I can drag and drop from iPhoto or Aperture, but I think when new Photos app is out, it should have built-in support of iCloud Photo Library.

Also simply turn on iCloud Photo Library and using iCloud Control Panel seem to cause duplicated photos on computer? You already sync selected photos/albums to Phone by iTunes. When Phone has iCloud Photo Library enabled, those albums will be uploaded to iCloud, when you use iCloud Control Panel, these photos will be downloaded again to your computer... Maybe best practice is to delete all synced albums from the phone before enabling this feature, then adding them to iCloud from computer, I don't know.

Sep 27, 2014 11:48 PM in response to s2s

S2S: Yeah I think you are right! There is a possibility of duplication. But the good part is that iCloud stores and downloads at the original resolution. So may be you can back up your original photos on a back up external drive and delete from the Mac! Just keep the iCloud data!

Angus: Not sure if you are aware - Apple has reduced the rates of iCloud Storage to 0.99$ for 20 GB. That's quite decent and economical. I have subscribed to the same and am not facing any constraint of space now.

Sep 28, 2014 12:09 AM in response to Aditya Zutshi

So apple is trying to change the way how people sync photos.

now

computer -- (via iTunes) --> device 1, device 2... Manual sync, wire or wireless

with icloud photo library

coumpuer --> icloud --> device 1, device 2... Auto, wireless.

I dont want to upload my entire photo library to icloud, not about storage or money, just not necessary, I hope I can upload selected albums/photos to iCloud and auto distribute to devices. Let's see what new photos app looks like.

Sep 30, 2014 2:01 PM in response to jbailey3368

Heck, you can't even access the iCloud Photo Library on OS X at this time, let alone iCloud. However, you will be able to do both in the future. There are several parts to the new iCloud Photo Library and so far only the iOS portion has gone live, and only in Beta. There will be a brand new Photos app for OS X which supports iCloud Photo Library (and replaces iPhoto and Aperture) as well as a similar app for iCloud.com.

Oct 1, 2014 12:54 AM in response to jbailey3368

why on earth would you want this feature? After the celebrity leaks, just think about. All it takes is for someone to figure out your apple password and they are now in full control of your life.

As if my emails, contacts, usernames, passwords, daily schedule and bookmarks wasn't bad enough, now the hacker can browse all my pictures and videos?

i Say thanks, but no thanks!!!!

Oct 1, 2014 7:19 AM in response to Klubvibez

There are a lot of reasons to want the feature (easy accessibility to photos and videos on alternate devices, backup), but hey, if you're really worried some hacker will try to gain access to your photos, you can certainly keep it turned off. However, I would say if you use 2-factor authentication and a strong password, the odds of someone gaining access to your library are incredibly low. It would probably be easier for them to just come steal them off your computer or from your shoeboxes.

Oh, and if you're not using 2-factor authentication with your Apple ID, turn it on now!!!

Oct 1, 2014 8:43 PM in response to KBeat

2-factor authentication sounds good but what if in the cloud sends your photos to someone else's account?

yeah I know sounds like someone with no idea about how these things work, well please read on.

i posted this last night on tis same forum, and have not received any help on it so far:

subject: Major security issue! I can see 100's of other peoples photos, Help!

Oct 1, 2014 4:39 AM

Using iPad Mini / iPhone 4S

I have just recently enabled the iCloud Photo Library (Beta). I also use MS Onedrive and i have it setup to automatically backup all my photos and videos from both my iOS devices.

Today i opened Onedrive for no particular reason and clicked on the Photos tab, this shows the progress of photos being backed up, only this time i scrolled down to find that there was hundreds of photos from different families mixed in with mine dating back to 2002! Naturally the first thing i am thinking is who is looking at my photos/files. What is going on!!!!

Let me just assure anyone reading this, that the owner of these photographs would not appreciate anyone else having them, these are Kindergarten, public school and family photos of complete strangers. and all my photos are mixed in between them.

Is anyone else having this issue

iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 8, iOS 8.0.2

iCloud Photo Library (beta) - how does it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.