Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari address bar hides in iOS 8

How do I keep the top address bar in Safari showing all the time? It hides when I scroll, so I have to scroll up or tap it to use anything on it. It's an extra step I have to take each time that I didn't have to before. I don't need it hidden, there's plenty of space to read the page.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 6:41 AM

19 replies

Sep 30, 2014 12:46 AM in response to Phil0124

Right, which is why there should be an option to show it or not like there are options to turn other things on or off.

That bar gives me like three lines of text at the top that I'm not even looking at. It adds nothing and makes me swipe the screen (losing my place) or tap the top (which is annoying). This is not better.

Feb 21, 2015 1:01 PM in response to michaels69

Jony Ive: "We're making it so simple that we're hiding the navigation controls so that only those in the know or who accidentally stumble on it can show the bar again."

I agree that there was no reason to not include an option to keep the bar persistent (and the default should be what the majority wants), but Chrome has been doing this on Android for years with no option to disable it, and since I use an Android phone, it's very annoying, especially when I'm reading an article, just want to look something up, and have to swipe and lose my scroll place just to open a new tab.

Reading on the iPad now, every time I want to look something up or flip tabs or navigate back and forth or save a book mark, I have to swipe the screen; it's just an extra annoying unnecessary step every single time.

Safari address bar hides in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.