Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there still no volume control during video playback?

I thought my phone might have been broken but I found similar questions from many years ago. During video playback I cannot lower the volume; even the mute switch has no effect. Can this really be how the phone is supposed to work? Iphone 5 with 8.0.

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 6:34 AM

1 reply

Sep 29, 2014 6:55 AM in response to AntonLargiader

Hi AntonLargiader,

The mute switch on the iPhone will not affect video playback volume, however you should be able to change playback volume in one of two ways -

Use the volume buttons on the side of the iPhone or

Tap on the screen during playback and a slider appears on the lower left. You can drag this to change the volume setting.

See this article -

iPhone: No ring or sound from built-in speaker

If this is not functioning correctly, I would suggest starting troubleshooting by quitting all applications on the iPhone and testing. See this article -

iOS: Force an app to close

If this does not resolve the issue, restart the iPhone -

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

If the issue is still not resolved, back up the iPhone's data and restore it as a new device -

iOS: How to back up your data and set up your device as a new device

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Is there still no volume control during video playback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.